MHSA Open House

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4 5:29 AM
      Come on, you know it ... you have an ancestor or an in-law with Mennonite heritage and you've just not taken time to explore the possibility.

      Why not take this weekend's open house at the MHSA to explore our resources to assist you!
      • We have a large vault that's filled with many thousands of Mennonite periodicals that go back to the 1920s in some cases - many of them with electronic obituary indexes.
      • Our library has about 1800 catalogued books in it - well populated with family histories, school yearbooks (great for photos), congregational and Mennonite conference histories, biographies, etc.
      • And, we have a number of church registers that are more valuable than the Vital Stats offices for detailed dates about birth, marriage, baptism, and burials.
      • Plus ... records of immigration for 21,000 Mennonites who arrived in Canada in the 1920s.
      Check out some of our resources online (www.mennonitehistory.org), our companion index to genealogy sources (www.mennonites.ca) and take advantage of our trained volunteers this Saturday.  Print out the family group sheet for which you need more information, or bring your pedigree chart with that Mennonite who has no printed ancestors and we'll help you fill the glaring holes.

      Remember - it's not likely that you have NO Mennonite heritage  We're everywhere!  (most common  Mennonite surnames appear beneath my signature)

      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
      Open House
      2nd floor, 2946 - 32 Street NE (across the street from Costco; just 2 blocks west of Peter Lougheed Hospital)
      You'll gain access to our secure facility by buzzing 238 (Irene Klassen will let you in)
      9:30 am to 5 pm

      Before joining us .. stop in at the main floor for a Stampede Breakfast being offered by the MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) Thrift Store.

      Details needed?  Just write (queries@...) or call (cell: 969-5115)

      Judith Rempel
      MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator

      Klassen, Dyck, Penner, Friesen, Janzen, Neufeld, Wiebe, Enns, Peters
      Martens, Rempel, Wiens, Tiessen, Thiessen Epp, Warkentin, Braun
      Reimer, Dueck, Loewen, Fast, Isaak, Toews, Bergen, Sawatzky, Dick
      Froese, Willms, Unger, Harder, Siemens, Schmidt, Giesbrecht
      Vogt/Voth, Kroeker, Derksen/Doerksen, Schellenberg, Schroeder
      Koop, Pauls, Falk, Huebert, Krahn, Hamm, Hildebrand,
      Regier/Regier (yes, as in Robyn Regehr in Hockey), Funk,
      Nickel (yes, as in Nickelback in Music)/Nikkel, Bold, Wall, Heinrichs
      Bergmann, Unruh and Neufeld (yes, as in Greg Neufeld of Cdn Idol)

      Did you know ... Matthew Groening, creator of the Simpsons, is also of (Saskatchewan) Mennonite roots?  Groening is a historic Mennonite name as is Wolf, Schartner, etc - just not as common as the above.

      In kinship,
      Judith Rempel
      MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator
      queries@... and rempel@...

      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
      web: www.mennonitehistory.org
      blog: http://mennonites.typepad.com/mennonite_historical_soci/

      Mennonite Genealogical Data Index
      www.mennonites.ca

      RempelFamily
      www.rempelfamily.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4 6:07 PM
        I - d say "this weekend" and "this Saturday" - but I should have been clearer.  The MHSA is having an open house on Saturday, July 7, from 9:30am to 5:00pm.  Our address is 2946 -32 Street NE.

        Judith Rempel
        MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator
        (cell: 969-5115) (MHSA: 250-1121)

        nal Message -----