October Chinook Deadline Moved Up

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2007
      Hi all,

      Shortly you will be receiving your July Chinook but there is no rest for the wicked or the Chinook editor (perhaps one and the same but I hope not).

      The deadline as advertised in the Chinook is August 1 but the last acceptable date is August 15. For the October issue though I will not be available to work on it between August 1 and August 15 so I am really hoping I can receive input before you go on vacation. The earlier the better because my ability to work on the Chinook in August will be limited and our commitment is to have the Chinook to you by mail before the first of the month of the Chinook date. So to have October's issue to you before the first of October means having the issue ready for proofreaders before September 1st.

      So if you have your articles to me well before August 1st, I can have the issue ready to go to the proofreaders then.

      We need the following:
      1. Main articles - currently I have one main article and one promised.
      2. Other articles - I announced the issue as a Reunion issue but since October is last the issue just before Remembrance Day, if you have articles on a military topic suitable for Remembrance Day, I would welcome those. They can be on old wars or new peace-keeping mission in which Canadians were involved. The main stories is on Vimy Ridge. So if necessary, I can bump reunion stories to the January issue.
      3. SIG articles - we have not had a SIG entry from the Computer Group. One is promised from the Ontario SIG and another is already submitted for the Metis SIG from Jim Bowman. We will continue the Ukrainian list of names and locations members are seeking. We welcome other SIGs to submit their meeting dates, activities, queries, stories, book reviews, etc.
      4. Queries - Not found all your ancestors back to Adam? Then send us your brickwalls and road blocks. Found all your ancestors back to Adam? Then submit your stories in the next section.
      5. Serendipity - Those stories of successes that just came out of nowhere. We want to hear/read them. Send them to Bev Rees.
      6. Events - If you know of a genealogical conference or other event of value to our members, please send them to Bev Rees to include in her list. Exception are Calgary Public Library, Historic Calgary Week or events/programs offered by or in colloboration with AFHS. Those come directly to me.
      7. Board Matters - messages or reports from a Board or committee member, such as membership, program, publicity, publications, etc. This includes updates to the names of committee chairs, and SIG both Regional and Genealogy software coordinators.
      8. Fillers - those wonderful little pieces, announcements or tips that can be fit to the patchwork quilt that the Chinook ends up being once the other sections have been put into place. Don't be disappointed if theyare not used in the next issue or two after you have sent them in, unless they are time sensitive. They will be used when the right space appears.

      I think that is it. So I am waiting for my inbox to be flooded with items.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      Editor, Chinook

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, French, M├ętis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564