RE: Alberta Birth Records

  • lakirbyson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2007
      Hi,

      For official records of births, marriages, and deaths - and to obtain copies
      for those records as your friend is trying to do, contact Vital Statistics.
      Here is the link: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/vs/forms.cfm

      Vital Statistics are provincial organizations, so they vary slightly in each
      province, but that's where to go.

      Hope it helps your friend!

      Laura Kirbyson

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2007
        The last time I read the details on the AB Govt website, it said that IN
        PROVINCE people had to get their record from an authorized Alberta
        Registries Office (the folks who help you renew your driver's license, etc.
        - all over Calgary). OUT OF PROVINCE people could go to the provincial
        dept.

        The details as to what you have to do to get a record depend on your
        relationship to the person in the record. To get one's own - proof of
        identity likely. For recent records, proof of direct descendancy (in fact
        legislation says one must be THE next of kin). For older records, anyone in
        the public can request/get.

        In kinship,
        Judith Rempel
        MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator