Fwd: Alberta Birth Records

  • George Lake
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2007
      Hi All:
      I received the following from a friend today. I have not had
      occasion to look for Alberta registrations myself so I don't have an
      answer. I presume this is a result of the privatization of the
      registries. Can anybody help?

      >I have a question about Alberta birth records. A friend of mine is
      >having a hard time getting a copy of her birth registration. She
      >used a church record to get past passports.
      >
      >She was born in 1952 and when she tried to get a birth certificate
      >she was told that the Alberta registry office (I didn't get the
      >official name) didn't have records that old.
      >
      >Can you explain this and suggest what she should do?

      Regards

      Geo

      George Lake
      Calgary, AB
      email: george@...
      website: www.glake.ca

    • lakirbyson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2007
        Hi,

        For official records of births, marriages, and deaths - and to obtain copies
        for those records as your friend is trying to do, contact Vital Statistics.
        Here is the link: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/vs/forms.cfm

        Vital Statistics are provincial organizations, so they vary slightly in each
        province, but that's where to go.

        Hope it helps your friend!

        Laura Kirbyson

        I received the following from a friend today. I have not had
        occasion to look for Alberta registrations myself so I don't have an
        answer. I presume this is a result of the privatization of the
        registries. Can anybody help?

        >I have a question about Alberta birth records. A friend of mine is
        >having a hard time getting a copy of her birth registration. She
        >used a church record to get past passports.
        >
        >She was born in 1952 and when she tried to get a birth certificate
        >she was told that the Alberta registry office (I didn't get the
        >official name) didn't have records that old.
        >
        >Can you explain this and suggest what she should do?

        Regards

        Geo

        George Lake
        Calgary, AB
        email: george@...
        website: www.glake.ca

        2:03 PM
      • Judith Rempel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2007
          The last time I read the details on the AB Govt website, it said that IN
          PROVINCE people had to get their record from an authorized Alberta
          Registries Office (the folks who help you renew your driver's license, etc.
          - all over Calgary). OUT OF PROVINCE people could go to the provincial
          dept.

          The details as to what you have to do to get a record depend on your
          relationship to the person in the record. To get one's own - proof of
          identity likely. For recent records, proof of direct descendancy (in fact
          legislation says one must be THE next of kin). For older records, anyone in
          the public can request/get.

          In kinship,
          Judith Rempel
          MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator