Oh dear - another reason why folks will stop providing family data to researchers

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2007

      The legitimate asking of family history information for genealogical purposes may cause “vulnerable” seniors to cease sharing personal data.  So much for the maxim that one should interview the oldest members of one’s family FIRST (well, second – after writing down everything that you know for sure).

      http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=de1b43e5-c7da-4f45-953d-53be82343f91&k=90621

      (also reported in today’s Calgary Herald – p. A4)

      In kinship,

      Judith Rempel

      MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator

      queries@... and rempel@...

      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta

      web: www.mennonitehistory.org

      blog: http://mennonites.typepad.com/mennonite_historical_soci/

      Mennonite Genealogical Data Index

       www.mennonites.ca

    • Kenneth W. Rees
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
        Quoting Judith Rempel <rempel@...>:

        > The legitimate asking of family history information for genealogical
        > purposes may cause "vulnerable" seniors to cease sharing personal data. So
        > much for the maxim that one should interview the oldest members of one's
        > family FIRST (well, second - after writing down everything that you know for
        > sure).
        >

        > http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=de1b43e5-c7da-4f45-953
        > d-53be82343f91
        > <http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=de1b43e5-c7da-4f45-95
        > 3d-53be82343f91&k=90621> &k=90621
        >

        > (also reported in today's Calgary Herald - p. A4)
        >

        > In kinship,
        >
        > Judith Rempel
        >
        > MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator
        >
        > queries@... and rempel@...
        >

        > Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
        >
        > web: www.mennonitehistory.org
        >
        > blog: http://mennonites.typepad.com/mennonite_historical_soci/
        >

        > Mennonite Genealogical Data Index
        >
        > www.mennonites.ca

        We probably should have asked years ago, before they became vulnerable
        seniors!

        BTW, aren't some of us entering that category? <smile>

        Ken