Access to your e-mails

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2007
      Many of us are elderly, but as family historians we probably receive more email than
      the average senior.

      The last two issues of "EMAIL Essentials", an e-mail newsletter that I receive, has
      written about access to your e-mails in case of incapacity or death. Llinks are
      provided to another on-line publication, "OFFICE Watch", which has the articles.

      For "Email after death" browse to:

      http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=459

      For "More Email after death" go to:

      http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=461

      Both are two page items. you need to scroll to the bottom of the page to select the
      second page.

      Both of these links contain advertising. The problems mention may not be applicable
      in Alberta or Canada.

      Regards,

      Charlie Hansen
    • Lorna Laughton
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2007
        Message

        Hi Charlie and all:

        I followed the links and read these articles. They were very interesting and thought provoking. Managing my computer files and the various internet favourites that include logins and passwords (many websites require registration, not just to sell stuff) takes a lot of my time. If the "bus" hit me, I can imagine that someone would have quite a time getting my on-going e-mail (in my webmail box at Shaw) and cancelling the various e-mail lists that I'm on, and cancelling web site connections. And that's not even counting the computer work needed to preserve my genealogy files!

        This is a HUGE topic - which includes what to do with my genealogy that's on the computer in various forms (in Legacy, Word documents, PDFs, and images). Where does this info go to? Should I designate someone to go through it, print it, put in on DVDs? Anyways, you see the big questions here.

        I think that this would be a great topic to expand to an article in the Chinook, a speaker (panel?) at an AFHS meeting, a "blog", a speaker (panel?) for a special Saturday or Sunday meeting, a topic at the next FamilyRoots Conference, ongoing e-mail subject on dist-gen, or all-of-the-above.

        Since I sometimes lose e-mail links, I created a Word document from the information at the links that Charlie sent us. If you would like me to send you a copy, just e-mail me at lornalaughton@... off list.

        Lorna

        Many of us are elderly, but as family historians we probably receive more email than

        the average senior.

        The last two issues of "EMAIL Essentials", an e-mail newsletter that I receive, has

        written about access to your e-mails in case of incapacity or death. Links are