Re: England Civil Registration

  • Eileen McElroy
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
      At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
      >In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.

      In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
      received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
      EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
      census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
      formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.

      Regards,
      Eileen

    • Peter van Schaik
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
        At 11:05 PM 8/5/02 -0600, you wrote:
        >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
        >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
        >
        >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
        >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
        >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
        >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
        >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
        >Regards,
        >Eileen

        Thanks Eileen , I didn't know that.

        Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!

        Docs4u Research.
        Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
        Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable rates.
        Mailto:docs4u@...

        Peter Jm van Schaik
        237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
        Alberta ,Canada
        postal code ; T1K 6M8
        Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063

      • Carol Lylyk
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
          Hello,
          I received a batch of photocopies from Salt Lake City a week ago which I had requested on form
          #31768 and there was no mention of the cost going up but there is another form that you can order
          copies of entries on the IGI that they charge 2.00 for. Also on that form (#31831) there was a
          space where you could order copies of microfiche for .25 cents. Maybe that is what they have
          changed. I sure hope so because I still have lots of copies I would like to order.

          Carol Lylyk
          Calgary, Alberta

          > >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
          > >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
          > >
          > >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
          > >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
          > >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
          > >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
          > >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
          > >Regards,
          > >Eileen

          ---

        • Lillian D. Myers
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
              It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to $2.00
              each. The following official statement was printed in the last copy of the
              Memorandum for Family History Centres.

              ***Cost Increase for Photoduplication Requests
              After a recent audit was completed in the Photoduplication Unit of the
              Family History Library, a need was shown to increase the charge for copies
              made for patrons. As part of the audit, a cost comparison was made to other
              research facilities across the US that provide similar services. The $0.25
              request has been in place since at least the early 1980s. The cost will now
              be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where page
              numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request. The
              charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage charges
              are included in the price of the copy.

              Judi Lee

              > >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
              > >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you
              mentioned.

              > >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
              > >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
              > >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
              > >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
              > >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
              > >Regards,
              > >Eileen

              ---

            • Carol Lylyk
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                Thanks Judi, (I guess - as they say 'Don't shoot the messenger!') <G> I guess they just missed
                putting the notice in with the copies I received. I will have to order more prudently now although
                the price still isn't too bad.

                Carol Lylyk
                Calgary
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                  If I understand this recent increase in fees correctly, does this not help
                  us make a case for the Calgary Family History Centre to bring in the Ontario
                  Civil Registrations for births, marriages and deaths?

                  I would be more willing to pay for the films to come into the Calgary Centre
                  and stay here, than to send $32 U.S. to Salt Lake City to have 8
                  certificates Xeroxed.

                  I realize other alternatives exist. I can drive to the Edmonton (220 miles)
                  or Lethbridge (120 miles)Family History Centres several times a year.
                  Edmonton has films of the actual certificates for most years. It is only
                  the most recent years that are sporadic.

                  In addition, I would really like to see the indexes to the registrations up
                  on the internet. (I don't want much do I?).

                  Thanks for confirming the "nasty rumor", Judi.

                  Sincerely,
                  Ellen Kinghorn
                  Email: ellen@...
                  Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

                  > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                  $2.00
                  early 1980s. The cost will now
                  > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                  page
                  > numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                  The
                  > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage
                  charges
                  > are included in the price of the copy.
                  >
                  > Judi Lee

                • Forte
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                    With the increases in copy prices does anyone know where you can get money orders cheap?

                    It's not the increase in copies that has me in a flap so much as it is that the minimum charge has gone up to US $4.00 as well.   I guess I won't be sending the cash in an envelope anymore.  ....I know I should have done that in the first place, but I  just hate having to pay the CDN  $5.00 service charge for a money order especially when it's for such a small amount.  Is there a better way?   ...Any ideas...? Thanks.

                    Genealogically yours,

                    Researching: FORTE, FERRARA, DUDLEY, THOMAS
                    Alison's Genealogy Page:  http://members.shaw.ca/alison.forte
                    NIVEN Family Connections:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~niven

                    > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                    $2.00
                    early 1980s.  The cost will now
                    > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                    page
                    > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                    The
                    > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
                    charges
                    > are included in the price of the copy.
                    >
                    > Judi Lee

                  • Ellen Kinghorn
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                      Alison:  I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and there is no charge...American or International.

                      Ellen Kinghorn
                      Email: ellen@...

                      > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                      $2.00
                      early 1980s.  The cost will now
                      > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                      page
                      > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                      The
                      > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
                      charges
                      > are included in the price of the copy.
                      >
                      > Judi Lee

                    • Judith Rempel
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                        I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                        get this benefit.

                        --
                        In Kinship,
                        Judith Rempel, Webster

                        and

                        afhs@...

                        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                        FamilyRoots 2002
                      • Lois Sparling
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                          Dear Ellen

                          The free money orders at the Royal Bank depend on what type of service
                          plan you have.

                          Lois Sparling
                        • Frank Morrow
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002

                            Hi Lucky', I too get mine for free at CIBC - hey, it rhymes. This is one of the few benefits of being a 'senior'.
                          • Richard Trostem
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                              That's in the process of changing at thr Royal, regardless of what
                              service you have. I believe that effective July 1, if you purchase more
                              than twelve money orders in a calendar year, the charge will be
                              $10.00/order (after the free 12). It's something like that, but your
                              Royal Bank can tell you the specifics, if you ask.

                              Richard

                              Judith Rempel wrote:

                              > I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                              > get this benefit.
                              >
                              > Alison: I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and
                              > there is no charge...American or International.
                              >
                              > --
                              > In Kinship,
                              > Judith Rempel, Webster
                              > rempel@...
                              > JR Solutions
                              > http://www.jrsolutions.net
                              >
                              > and
                              >
                              > afhs@...
                              > Alberta Family Histories Society
                              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                              >
                              > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
                              >
                              > FamilyRoots 2002
                              > http://www.family-roots.ca
                              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                              > http://www.family-roots.ca
                            • Rene
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                                Gordon:

                                > From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
                                > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
                                >
                                > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
                                > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

                                Sorry that I did not join in this discussion sooner but I have had problems
                                with my e-mail service.

                                You cannot get English civil registration certificates from the LDS.

                                My advice on obtaining civil registration certificates is undernoted.
                                First, however, I have a couple of comments to make:

                                1. It is true that if a marriage appears in the IGI or the British Vital
                                Records Index you can get a copy of the entry in the church register from
                                SLC providing you correctly identify the source.

                                Some disadvantages to this approach are:

                                (a) Many post-1837 church registers have not been filmed by the LDS.

                                (b) The time lapse for obtaining a photocopy from SLC is two months.
                                This was my personal experience when applying for a copy of a Scottish
                                marriage certificate earlier this year.

                                (c) The new charge (effective January 1, 2003) of $4 US minimum/order
                                has to be taken into account.

                                2. From several contributors to this discussion it is apparent that they
                                are concerned about the cost of a sterling money order from the bank. If
                                this is a concern and you prefer to use a credit card then you have two
                                choices:

                                (a) You can purchase a certificate from the Office of National
                                Statistics (General Register Office), Southport (using a credit card) in
                                one of two ways:

                                Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88
                                Fax +44(0)1704 550013

                                See their website:

                                http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certe_w/fees.asp

                                for full details. The cost is 8 pounds sterling with full GRO Reference
                                number. Note that if you give an incorrect GRO reference number you will
                                not receive a certificate and an administration fee of four pounds, fifty
                                pence will be charged. Note also that no refund under five pounds will be
                                issued to an overseas applicant. In effect, therefore, you will have paid 8
                                pounds for nothing.

                                (b) You can use a Record Agent to obtain the certificate for you. Many
                                professional researchers advertise their services in the Family Tree
                                Magazine (copies at the FHC and in the AFHS library). For faster service
                                choose one who has an e-mail address. Some dist-gen members (Peter van
                                Schaik among them) can recommend reliable agents.

                                * * *

                                Now for my suggested course of action.

                                Write to the Register Office where the event was registered. DO NOT quote
                                the volume and page number (GRO reference number). Be sure to quote the
                                quarter and year in which you found the entry on the indexes.
                                Theoretically, they will search for an event for five years but it is much
                                better to check the indexes first before placing your order.

                                Check the current address for the Register Office in question at:

                                http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/genuki/reg/

                                Enclose a sterling cheque or money order for seven pounds. This includes
                                return airmail postage.

                                There should be no difficulty in obtaining a copy of a birth or death
                                certificate from the local Register Office. It has been my experience that
                                local offices give return mail service so you can expect to receive the
                                certificate in about 3 weeks.

                                If the event is a marriage the local Register Office needs to have some
                                idea of the church where the marriage took place. If you do not know the
                                particular church but know the area where the bride lived before marriage
                                that would be helpful. This is because in a large city there could be 30 or
                                more marriage registers and it is too time-consuming for the staff at the
                                Register Office to look through them all to find your marriage. What they
                                will do is to look in the register for the mother church of the area, plus
                                the Register Office's own register. Their register will contain all
                                non-conformist marriages where a Registrar was required to be present up to
                                at least 1898, plus all marriages that took place in the Register Office
                                itself.

                                If for any reason the local Register Office cannot provide a copy of the
                                event requested they will return your money in full and refer you to the
                                General Register Office at Southport (this office deals with all postal
                                enquiries).

                                If it is necessary to write to Southport you need to quote the full GRO
                                reference.

                                The cost is eight pounds sterling if you supply the full GRO reference
                                number. Without the reference number the cost is 11 pounds. The mailing
                                address is:

                                General Register Office
                                PO Box 2
                                Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD
                                UK

                                Service from Southport is generally slower than from a local Register
                                Office.

                                I hope this helps.

                                Rene