Queries - What no brickwalls, no shaky ladders when climbing your family tree?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2007
      Hi all,

      I am glad we are such an expert group that we have no queries. I guess we all have our family trees back to Adam and Eve or however far it is possible to go.

      There are two free queries per member per year and with around 300 members that should be 600 queries. But where the heck are they? I don't even have ONE for the upcoming issue.

      Now I know I could do mine but with 598 others from the AFHS members, I think I should let the rest of you have your turn. Also non-members or those who want more than two queries per year, only pay $5.00 each query. The cheapest ad around!

      Did I mention the benefits? It seems like I have but I will repeat them here:

      1. The approximate 299 other members could read your query and say, "ah-ha - that is the very ancestor I have been trying to find. Maybe we could join forces and tackle this together". The late Doug Stobbs and I had that experience. Both of us had been married to descendants of Maurice Patrick Shea (1794-1892). We connected through the AFHS and certainly captured many elusive branches and twigs along the way as we looked into our children's family tree.

      2. The approximate 299 other members could read your query and say, "Hey - I have something that may help you!" This happened to one of the people who joined our Ukrainian SIG. Mertie Beatty had taken a photo in a graveyard because it was interesting. She was not related but when she saw the person's query on our SIG list with the same surname as the people on the tombstone, she sent off the photo, Turns out the tombstone, actually more like a memorial, had dates and an expanded family tree further back than the person knew. Just plain serendipity but you never know if you don't send out that query, like a message in a bottle. You never know who might find it and have some of the the answers you are seeking.

      3. The word goes out to about 140 family history societies in other parts of Canada as well as to the U.S., UK and Australia. Well I have many stories to tell about that but I will stick to just one. When I put a query in a newsletter I received an email from someone who said he had grown up on the very same street as the person I wanted to know more about. In fact, he had been their paper boy. Although not related, he was able to tell me interesting stories about the person and that person's parents. Although this did not add to the family tree in the usual "hatched, matched and dispatched" fashion, he added colour to their portraits. I gave the email in a birthday card for the person's 90 birthday. He was thrilled. Oh, I didn't put this in the Chinook because I never thought anyone here would know this person who grew up in Montreal. I put it in a Montreal journal. Where was the person who answered the query? In British Columbia. Goes to show, you never know where a query will take you.

      So come on now! I expect 598 queries by February 1, 2007.

      You may email them to me at queries@... or reply to this email.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      Editor, Chinook

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, French, M├ętis