PAF companion

  • Marianne Wilkat
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006

      Seasons Greetings,

      For years I have been using PAF 3 to keep my records in.
      Several years ago someone mentioned that DESCEND
      was a good companion program to do print-outs from PAF 3.
      DESCEND now will not handle the approximately 5000 names
      that I wish to print.

      Does anyone know of a companion program to PAF that will do a
      similar print-out? for more than 5000 names???

      Thank you,

      Marianne
      wilkatm@...
    • Gord Hulbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006
        Marianne Wilkat wrote:

        Seasons Greetings,

        For years I have been using PAF 3 to keep my records in.
        Several years ago someone mentioned that DESCEND
        was a good companion program to do print-outs from PAF 3.
        DESCEND now will not handle the approximately 5000 names
        that I wish to print.

        Does anyone know of a companion program to PAF that will do a
        similar print-out? for more than 5000 names???

        Thank you,

        Marianne
        wilkatm@...

        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.432 / Virus Database: 268.15.29/608 - Release Date: 12/29/2006 8:22 AM
        Hi there:

        I'm not familiar with the 'PAF companion program' you are referring to.  Does your PAF 3.0 have GEDCOM capability?  If it does, there are many other genealogy programs that could probably handle 5000 names.  My favorite is the 'indented descendant' report created by BK 6.0.  I'm sure there are others that are familiar with what I'm referring to, and would agree it's a great report.

        Happy New Year!!

        --
        Regards,

        Gord Hulbert
        www.hulbert.ca

      • Pat Townshend Alnes
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006

          If your PC has enough space availble..........

          Why not try a free download PAF 5.2 from Family Search and make a  gedcom file transfer of your PAF3 files. Make sure you do a BACKUP of genealogy files on PC as well as on a CD or diskett before you start. Also there is a PAF Companion for chart printouts as well as the PAF print out reports on the PAF 5.2.

          I believe the writeup for PAF 5.2 says it coverts PAF 3 & 4 files to it's format.

          I used PAF 5.2 for quite some time & then went over to Legacy but still keep odd and end files using PAF 5.2 as it is quick to enter info into it and run through when one is looking for info.

          I now use the Legacy pocket PC program on my HP PDA when on holiday instead of carring my laptop now.

          I do a complete printout twice a year of all my files as a double safe guard and never through away any of my notebooks used during researching/searching.

          Pat