DNA Genealogy

  • Joseph Szikora
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2006
      On a Czech genealogy mailing list came the following offer:

      We are pleased to offer several Holiday Discount Certificates for DNA
      testing for new participants in the worldwide Czech DNA Project. The
      certificates are first-come-first-served and are valid until 31 December.
      These holiday discounts are in addition to the normal discount for those
      joining the worldwide Czech DNA Project.

      My question is: has anybody any opinion about this subject? I saw a boot
      on DNA testing on this years Genealogy conference.

      Merry Christmas and cheers,

      Joseph.

      More info can be found on the page:

      (http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Czech)
      E-Mail addresses: jszikora@...
      jszikora@...
      jszikora@...
      This E-Mail has been scanned by NORTON Antivirus and it is free of viri.

    • Bill Mumford
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18, 2006
        Family Tree DNA is a reputable organization if that is your concern.
        There are a number of similar projects to the Czech one mentioned on the
        FTDNA site including my family one. If you are interested in the
        possible benefits DNA testing may provide this would be a good time to
        get involved and take advantage of the price reductions. I suggest you
        read up on the procedure and possible advantages before you spend your
        money however. There is a link on my web site, www.mumford.ca to my DNA
        page and a link to another site where there is a good write up on DNA
        101, a basic discussion of how DNA testing can help a genealogist.

        Cheers

        Bill

        Joseph Szikora wrote:
        > On a Czech genealogy mailing list came the following offer:
        >
        > We are pleased to offer several Holiday Discount Certificates for DNA
        > testing for new participants in the worldwide Czech DNA Project. The
        > certificates are first-come-first-served and are valid until 31
        > December. These holiday discounts are in addition to the normal
        > discount for those joining the worldwide Czech DNA Project.
        >
        > My question is: has anybody any opinion about this subject? I saw
        > a boot on DNA testing on this years Genealogy conference.
        >
        > Merry Christmas and cheers,
        >
        > Joseph.
        >
        > More info can be found on the page:
        >
        > (http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Czech)
      • Caren Secord
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
          Hello -

          My husband and I have had DNA testing done by Family Tree DNA. We have both
          had our mitochondrial DNA tested. That follows the maternal line all the
          way back. My husband has also had his y chromosome tested. That follows
          the paternal line. The y chromosome testing is particularly useful for
          genealogy purposes. Results are posted on my website. (See
          http://members.shaw.ca/caren.secord/DNA/DNA.html.)

          Caren Secord