RE: Translation help

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
      It means sorrow or woe - on tombstone can mean "woe unto".

      It seems to be a common word in Yiddish, Icelandic/Norse, Romanian, etc. In
      English the word evolved into woe but not before it gave us the word "veil",
      which used to be worn as a sign of sorrow or mourning.

      1913 Websters - etymological dictionary
      Oxford Journals on etymology (roots/history, sounds, meanings of words)

      Hope this helps and if someone finds something different, I will be
      interested to hear about it.

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
        Thanks Xenia and John
        John's site is great if you know the language you want translated (and
        there aren't too many choices), but since I didn't know this language,
        it didn't help.
        Xenia, I might have know you would know or find the meaning!! For this
        cemetery entry, the burial name is Jost, (first name) Walczeck, so I am
        thinking of entering the monument last name as Walczeck vei.
        Waliszewski Jost, (first name) and then do a double entry under Jost as
        the last name.
        Thanks to both of you for your help - and I have learned something new
        again!!
        Marlene