Translation help

  • Marlene Knott
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
      Hello
      Can anyone help me with the translation of vei. as in Walczeck vei.
      Waliszewski Jost? This is on a cemetery monument and I'm not sure if it
      means "formerly" or if it is even part of the name.
      Any help is appreciated.
      Thank you
      Marlene Knott
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
        It means sorrow or woe - on tombstone can mean "woe unto".

        It seems to be a common word in Yiddish, Icelandic/Norse, Romanian, etc. In
        English the word evolved into woe but not before it gave us the word "veil",
        which used to be worn as a sign of sorrow or mourning.

        1913 Websters - etymological dictionary
        Oxford Journals on etymology (roots/history, sounds, meanings of words)

        Hope this helps and if someone finds something different, I will be
        interested to hear about it.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
          Thanks Xenia and John
          John's site is great if you know the language you want translated (and
          there aren't too many choices), but since I didn't know this language,
          it didn't help.
          Xenia, I might have know you would know or find the meaning!! For this
          cemetery entry, the burial name is Jost, (first name) Walczeck, so I am
          thinking of entering the monument last name as Walczeck vei.
          Waliszewski Jost, (first name) and then do a double entry under Jost as
          the last name.
          Thanks to both of you for your help - and I have learned something new
          again!!
          Marlene