Re: Chinook

  • william campbell
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi Xenia:

      I said it Monday evening and I'm saying it now. When the CHINOOKs arrived I said, "This is a miracle!"

      You did a superb job under very difficult time lines and minimal direction.  Imagine how easy it is going to be next time! :-)

      Yes, thanks to all that supported you when the going was so rough. I do hope that everyone appreciates the unselfish effort you put into it.

      Best wishes

      BILL CAMPBELL

      Xenia Stanford wrote:
      Dear AFHS members,

      I would like to apologize for the confused labelling and distribution of the Chinook on Monday night. Since my appointment as editor was not confirmed until late August and then was away for two weeks followed by a week of the flu, it was very difficult to put the first Chinook together in time. Also this was my first time so the learning curve was high despite the able help of the former Chinook editors and other people. Even though the printers took 1/3 of the time they nornally take to print the Chinook, the delivery was not until Monday. The printers sent the copies via courier to my place. They were promised by 4 p.m. but they were not delivered until 6 p.m. I was planning on labelling from 4:00 until 5:30 and then bringing them to the meeting. Since they were not delivered until 6 p.m. I was not able to do the labelling.

      I used the membership list provided but understand that several members did not have labels. I am not sure why this happened since I checked that all there were labels for everyone on the list.

      All I can offer is that the next issues will be done in a more timely manner. As for the labels, I am not sure who is supposed to do them or who will do them next time. I did them this time due to the crunched time limit.

      I would like to thank all those who helped me. For example, Bev Swan was assembling a crew to do labelling but with the late delivery, every plan went out the window. She still accepted delivery of them at the meeting and took the undistributed issues home to label and distribute. She did this even though it was not her job to do so. We need a publications committee to handle things, such as labelling and distributing as well as people to proofread the pdf before I send it to the printers. So if you are willing to volunteer, please contact Bev Swan. If you were not happy with the way things transpired, then help be sure it doesn't happen again. I always say to myself - "If you don't like it, don't complain. Instead take action to make sure it doesn't happen again."

      I received many articles thanks to those who sent them in and others who had a good eye for articles to include, if permission was granted. Thank you to you all. I hope you will continue to do so and hope others also participate actively by sending in success stories, brickwalls or anything in between that will be of interest and help to the readers - which includes members of our society and of other societies with whom we exchange journals.

      You too can see your name in print if you send in an article for publication. The deadline for the January issue is November 15. So please send me articles and tips on other inclusions for this issue. I and all the readers of Chinook will appreciate it.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      Editor, Chinook

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, French, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564

      Alberta Family Histories Society

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/

      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.12.13/463 - Release Date: 10/4/2006

      --
      WILLIAM CAMPBELL
      CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
        Thanks Bill,

        I also heard from some members who had helped with the labelling so they were not aware of any problems. Thanks to all of you whomever you are. As I said in my editorial, it is the work of many volunteers that makes this society run smoothly. This is why I threw my hat into the ring to help - one more pair of hands to add to the others in making our society great.