Re: England Civil Registration

  • Ken Oram
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
      Some marriages can be had from Salt Lake

      Ken

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
        At 10:14 PM 8/5/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi peter,
        >
        >Some marriages can be had for the cost of $2.00 each US from the LDS. Check
        >to see if the marriage is on the IGI and then ask at the FHC how to
        >x-reference the film to obtain the info to send to Salt Lake
        >Ken

        Ken , you are right that some of the certificates appear on parish films.
        You would in principle be able to use the the volunteer photo copying
        service from Salt Lake.
        The cost would be indeed a lot lower. In matter of fact , Salt Lake will
        make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.

        The problem lies with finding the event in the first place and then finding
        the proper reference to it and on what film. The volunteers in Salt Lake
        in general will not make a search for an event that you have no proper page
        or certificate number for.
        In short , I have giving up on obtaining certificates this way because of
        the time involved and the waiting time involved without knowing if you will
        even get the documents you are asking for.

        Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!

        Docs4u Research.
        Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
        Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable rates.
        Mailto:docs4u@...

        Peter Jm van Schaik
        237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
        Alberta ,Canada
        postal code ; T1K 6M8
        Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063

      • Eileen McElroy
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
          At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
          >In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.

          In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
          received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
          EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
          census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
          formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.

          Regards,
          Eileen

        • Peter van Schaik
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
            At 11:05 PM 8/5/02 -0600, you wrote:
            >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
            >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
            >
            >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
            >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
            >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
            >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
            >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
            >Regards,
            >Eileen

            Thanks Eileen , I didn't know that.

            Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!

            Docs4u Research.
            Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
            Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable rates.
            Mailto:docs4u@...

            Peter Jm van Schaik
            237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
            Alberta ,Canada
            postal code ; T1K 6M8
            Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063

          • Carol Lylyk
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
              Hello,
              I received a batch of photocopies from Salt Lake City a week ago which I had requested on form
              #31768 and there was no mention of the cost going up but there is another form that you can order
              copies of entries on the IGI that they charge 2.00 for. Also on that form (#31831) there was a
              space where you could order copies of microfiche for .25 cents. Maybe that is what they have
              changed. I sure hope so because I still have lots of copies I would like to order.

              Carol Lylyk
              Calgary, Alberta

              > >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
              > >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
              > >
              > >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
              > >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
              > >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
              > >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
              > >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
              > >Regards,
              > >Eileen

              ---

            • Lillian D. Myers
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                > >Some marriages can be had for the cost of $2.00 each US from the LDS.
                Check
                > >to see if the marriage is on the IGI and then ask at the FHC how to
                > >x-reference the film to obtain the info to send to Salt Lake
                > >Ken
                >
                > Ken , you are right that some of the certificates appear on parish films.
                > You would in principle be able to use the the volunteer photo copying
                > service from Salt Lake.
                > The cost would be indeed a lot lower. In matter of fact , Salt Lake will
                > make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
                >
                > The problem lies with finding the event in the first place and then
                finding
                > the proper reference to it and on what film. The volunteers in Salt Lake
                > in general will not make a search for an event that you have no proper
                page
                > or certificate number for.
                > In short , I have giving up on obtaining certificates this way because of
                > the time involved and the waiting time involved without knowing if you
                will
                > even get the documents you are asking for.
                >

                > Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!
                >
                > Docs4u Research.
                > Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
                > Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable
                rates.
                > Mailto:docs4u@...
                >
                > Peter Jm van Schaik
                > 237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
                > Alberta ,Canada
                > postal code ; T1K 6M8
                > Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063
                >
                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                > http://www.family-roots.ca

              • Judi Lee
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                  It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to $2.00
                  each. The following official statement was printed in the last copy of the
                  Memorandum for Family History Centres.

                  ***Cost Increase for Photoduplication Requests
                  After a recent audit was completed in the Photoduplication Unit of the
                  Family History Library, a need was shown to increase the charge for copies
                  made for patrons. As part of the audit, a cost comparison was made to other
                  research facilities across the US that provide similar services. The $0.25
                  request has been in place since at least the early 1980s. The cost will now
                  be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where page
                  numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request. The
                  charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage charges
                  are included in the price of the copy.

                  Judi Lee

                  > >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                  > >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you
                  mentioned.

                  > >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
                  > >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
                  > >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
                  > >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
                  > >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
                  > >Regards,
                  > >Eileen

                  ---

                • Carol Lylyk
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                    Thanks Judi, (I guess - as they say 'Don't shoot the messenger!') <G> I guess they just missed
                    putting the notice in with the copies I received. I will have to order more prudently now although
                    the price still isn't too bad.

                    Carol Lylyk
                    Calgary
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                      If I understand this recent increase in fees correctly, does this not help
                      us make a case for the Calgary Family History Centre to bring in the Ontario
                      Civil Registrations for births, marriages and deaths?

                      I would be more willing to pay for the films to come into the Calgary Centre
                      and stay here, than to send $32 U.S. to Salt Lake City to have 8
                      certificates Xeroxed.

                      I realize other alternatives exist. I can drive to the Edmonton (220 miles)
                      or Lethbridge (120 miles)Family History Centres several times a year.
                      Edmonton has films of the actual certificates for most years. It is only
                      the most recent years that are sporadic.

                      In addition, I would really like to see the indexes to the registrations up
                      on the internet. (I don't want much do I?).

                      Thanks for confirming the "nasty rumor", Judi.

                      Sincerely,
                      Ellen Kinghorn
                      Email: ellen@...
                      Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

                      > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                      $2.00
                      early 1980s. The cost will now
                      > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                      page
                      > numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                      The
                      > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage
                      charges
                      > are included in the price of the copy.
                      >
                      > Judi Lee

                    • Forte
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                        With the increases in copy prices does anyone know where you can get money orders cheap?

                        It's not the increase in copies that has me in a flap so much as it is that the minimum charge has gone up to US $4.00 as well.   I guess I won't be sending the cash in an envelope anymore.  ....I know I should have done that in the first place, but I  just hate having to pay the CDN  $5.00 service charge for a money order especially when it's for such a small amount.  Is there a better way?   ...Any ideas...? Thanks.

                        Genealogically yours,

                        Researching: FORTE, FERRARA, DUDLEY, THOMAS
                        Alison's Genealogy Page:  http://members.shaw.ca/alison.forte
                        NIVEN Family Connections:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~niven

                        > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                        $2.00
                        early 1980s.  The cost will now
                        > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                        page
                        > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                        The
                        > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
                        charges
                        > are included in the price of the copy.
                        >
                        > Judi Lee

                      • Ellen Kinghorn
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                          Alison:  I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and there is no charge...American or International.

                          Ellen Kinghorn
                          Email: ellen@...

                          > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                          $2.00
                          early 1980s.  The cost will now
                          > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                          page
                          > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                          The
                          > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
                          charges
                          > are included in the price of the copy.
                          >
                          > Judi Lee

                        • Judith Rempel
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                            I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                            get this benefit.

                            --
                            In Kinship,
                            Judith Rempel, Webster

                            and

                            afhs@...

                            Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                            FamilyRoots 2002
                          • Lois Sparling
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                              Dear Ellen

                              The free money orders at the Royal Bank depend on what type of service
                              plan you have.

                              Lois Sparling
                            • Frank Morrow
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002

                                Hi Lucky', I too get mine for free at CIBC - hey, it rhymes. This is one of the few benefits of being a 'senior'.
                              • Richard Trostem
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                                  That's in the process of changing at thr Royal, regardless of what
                                  service you have. I believe that effective July 1, if you purchase more
                                  than twelve money orders in a calendar year, the charge will be
                                  $10.00/order (after the free 12). It's something like that, but your
                                  Royal Bank can tell you the specifics, if you ask.

                                  Richard

                                  Judith Rempel wrote:

                                  > I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                                  > get this benefit.
                                  >
                                  > Alison: I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and
                                  > there is no charge...American or International.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > In Kinship,
                                  > Judith Rempel, Webster
                                  > rempel@...
                                  > JR Solutions
                                  > http://www.jrsolutions.net
                                  >
                                  > and
                                  >
                                  > afhs@...
                                  > Alberta Family Histories Society
                                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                  >
                                  > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
                                  >
                                  > FamilyRoots 2002
                                  > http://www.family-roots.ca
                                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                  > http://www.family-roots.ca
                                • Rene
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                                    Gordon:

                                    > From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
                                    > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
                                    >
                                    > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
                                    > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

                                    Sorry that I did not join in this discussion sooner but I have had problems
                                    with my e-mail service.

                                    You cannot get English civil registration certificates from the LDS.

                                    My advice on obtaining civil registration certificates is undernoted.
                                    First, however, I have a couple of comments to make:

                                    1. It is true that if a marriage appears in the IGI or the British Vital
                                    Records Index you can get a copy of the entry in the church register from
                                    SLC providing you correctly identify the source.

                                    Some disadvantages to this approach are:

                                    (a) Many post-1837 church registers have not been filmed by the LDS.

                                    (b) The time lapse for obtaining a photocopy from SLC is two months.
                                    This was my personal experience when applying for a copy of a Scottish
                                    marriage certificate earlier this year.

                                    (c) The new charge (effective January 1, 2003) of $4 US minimum/order
                                    has to be taken into account.

                                    2. From several contributors to this discussion it is apparent that they
                                    are concerned about the cost of a sterling money order from the bank. If
                                    this is a concern and you prefer to use a credit card then you have two
                                    choices:

                                    (a) You can purchase a certificate from the Office of National
                                    Statistics (General Register Office), Southport (using a credit card) in
                                    one of two ways:

                                    Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88
                                    Fax +44(0)1704 550013

                                    See their website:

                                    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certe_w/fees.asp

                                    for full details. The cost is 8 pounds sterling with full GRO Reference
                                    number. Note that if you give an incorrect GRO reference number you will
                                    not receive a certificate and an administration fee of four pounds, fifty
                                    pence will be charged. Note also that no refund under five pounds will be
                                    issued to an overseas applicant. In effect, therefore, you will have paid 8
                                    pounds for nothing.

                                    (b) You can use a Record Agent to obtain the certificate for you. Many
                                    professional researchers advertise their services in the Family Tree
                                    Magazine (copies at the FHC and in the AFHS library). For faster service
                                    choose one who has an e-mail address. Some dist-gen members (Peter van
                                    Schaik among them) can recommend reliable agents.

                                    * * *

                                    Now for my suggested course of action.

                                    Write to the Register Office where the event was registered. DO NOT quote
                                    the volume and page number (GRO reference number). Be sure to quote the
                                    quarter and year in which you found the entry on the indexes.
                                    Theoretically, they will search for an event for five years but it is much
                                    better to check the indexes first before placing your order.

                                    Check the current address for the Register Office in question at:

                                    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/genuki/reg/

                                    Enclose a sterling cheque or money order for seven pounds. This includes
                                    return airmail postage.

                                    There should be no difficulty in obtaining a copy of a birth or death
                                    certificate from the local Register Office. It has been my experience that
                                    local offices give return mail service so you can expect to receive the
                                    certificate in about 3 weeks.

                                    If the event is a marriage the local Register Office needs to have some
                                    idea of the church where the marriage took place. If you do not know the
                                    particular church but know the area where the bride lived before marriage
                                    that would be helpful. This is because in a large city there could be 30 or
                                    more marriage registers and it is too time-consuming for the staff at the
                                    Register Office to look through them all to find your marriage. What they
                                    will do is to look in the register for the mother church of the area, plus
                                    the Register Office's own register. Their register will contain all
                                    non-conformist marriages where a Registrar was required to be present up to
                                    at least 1898, plus all marriages that took place in the Register Office
                                    itself.

                                    If for any reason the local Register Office cannot provide a copy of the
                                    event requested they will return your money in full and refer you to the
                                    General Register Office at Southport (this office deals with all postal
                                    enquiries).

                                    If it is necessary to write to Southport you need to quote the full GRO
                                    reference.

                                    The cost is eight pounds sterling if you supply the full GRO reference
                                    number. Without the reference number the cost is 11 pounds. The mailing
                                    address is:

                                    General Register Office
                                    PO Box 2
                                    Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD
                                    UK

                                    Service from Southport is generally slower than from a local Register
                                    Office.

                                    I hope this helps.

                                    Rene