Re: FW: Alberta Postal History

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
      See this item on e-bay:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/CANADIAN-STAMP-COLLECTING-Alberta-Canada-Philately-Book_W0QQitemZ170011338373QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3485QQcmdZViewItem

      referring to the Fur wars of 1831

      Judith (Judii) Rempel
      rempel@...
      Now on Skype: judiir
      www.rempelfamily.ca
      and queries@...
      www.mennonites.ca
      www.mennonites.ca/mhsa

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mabel Kiessling <m.kiessling@...>
      Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:15 pm
      Subject: FW: Alberta Postal History

      > I have a query from someone who is looking for the location of
      > Fort San
      > Parielle which was apparently in Southern Alberta. Is anyone
      > familiary with
      > the name? I have tried three book sources and Collections Canada
      > withoutsuccess. Any suggestions?
      >
      > Mabel Kiessling
      > Queries Volunteer
      > Alberta Family Histories Society

    • Mabel Kiessling
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
        Thank you to everyone that emailed me and especially Christine Hayes of the Calgary Public Library and Judith Rempel on my quest for Fort San Parielle.  It is located and I quote  "The fort [Fort San Parielle] was located on the bank of the Bow River (or the South Saskatchewan River, formed where the Oldman River and Bow River joined just west of the future city of Medicine Hat). This was the territory of the Blood Indian and the adjacent Peigan Indian tribes that straddled the 49th parallel" "Letters from the Far West" by BNAPS Calgary Group and Goodbook Communications Group, p. 60."

        Mabel Kiessling
        Queries Volunteer