FW: Alberta Postal History

  • Mabel Kiessling
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
      I have a query from someone who is looking for the location of Fort San
      Parielle which was apparently in Southern Alberta. Is anyone familiary with
      the name? I have tried three book sources and Collections Canada without
      success. Any suggestions?

      Mabel Kiessling
      Queries Volunteer
      Alberta Family Histories Society
    • Sharon
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
        The nearest I can find is a San Pariel apparently on Vancouver Island near Parksville.

        Sharon

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
          See this item on e-bay:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/CANADIAN-STAMP-COLLECTING-Alberta-Canada-Philately-Book_W0QQitemZ170011338373QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3485QQcmdZViewItem

          referring to the Fur wars of 1831

          Judith (Judii) Rempel
          rempel@...
          Now on Skype: judiir
          www.rempelfamily.ca
          and queries@...
          www.mennonites.ca
          www.mennonites.ca/mhsa

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
            Thank you to everyone that emailed me and especially Christine Hayes of the Calgary Public Library and Judith Rempel on my quest for Fort San Parielle.  It is located and I quote  "The fort [Fort San Parielle] was located on the bank of the Bow River (or the South Saskatchewan River, formed where the Oldman River and Bow River joined just west of the future city of Medicine Hat). This was the territory of the Blood Indian and the adjacent Peigan Indian tribes that straddled the 49th parallel" "Letters from the Far West" by BNAPS Calgary Group and Goodbook Communications Group, p. 60."

            Mabel Kiessling
            Queries Volunteer