RE: Information sought re Innisfail, Bowden and Bassano

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21 1:01 AM
      Hi MARLENE,

      I have blind carbon copied you so your email address will remain private but
      I am sending it to the AFHS dist-gen so everyone won't send you a bunch of
      the same answers or maybe even "wrong" answers. I was born in Alberta and
      have lived here almost all my life - except for a decade in BC and a few
      years in the southern hemisphere. I grew up near Innisfail and have
      travelled the highways between Calgary and Edmonton many times to visit
      family in various parts of Alberta, to take friends and family from overseas
      to sightsee and to travel to various locations for business, including
      working for a company with field offices throughout Alberta. So I hope you
      find my information useful.

      You asked

      1) Is there a Pioneer Cemetery in Innisfail? Where is it located?

      Answer: Innisfail is in Red Deer County, Alberta. It is just west of the
      city of Red Deer. There is one main cemetery but there are also some church
      cemeteries. The Innisfail & District Historical Society is indexing all the
      cemeteries in the area but are not yet finished. When they are, they plan to
      make it available online. Meanwhile either of these two contacts should be
      able to assist you:

      Innisfail Cemetery
      4943 53 St.
      Innisfail, AB
      T4G 1A1
      Contact: Kathy Collins
      Tel: 403-227-3376
      Fax: 403-227-4045
      e-mail: townhall@...

      Debra Pocha
      Town of Innisfail
      4943-53rd Street
      Innisfail, AB T4G 1A1
      Tel: (403) 227-3376

      2) Do you know the location of Bowden, Alberta? I think it is somewhere near
      present day Sherwood Park.

      Answer: Bowden is also part of Red Deer County. It is almost midway between
      Calgary and Red Deer on the Highway 2(which has been renamed Queen Elizabeth
      Highway recently but may not be on the map you may have). Sherwood Park is
      near Edmonton so Bowden is much further away from Edmonton than from
      Calgary.

      If you are going to Innisfail from Calgary you will pass Bowden first. Then
      you would continue along Highway 2 and find Innisfail at the junction of
      Highways 2 and 54 just south of Red Deer. Bowden is about 12 miles (about
      7Km) south of Innisfail.

      3) Do you know the location of Bassans, Alberta? Have I spelled it
      correctly?

      Answer: I'm sure you mean Bassano. It is in the County of Newell, near
      Brooks, Alberta. It is located 140Km(80 miles) east of Calgary and 160Km
      (95miles) west of Medicine Hat on the Number 1 (one) Highway. So it is in
      almost the opposite direction from Calgary than Bowden and Innisfail.

      I tried to find the best map of Alberta to direct you to so that you could
      see these three places which are not on all maps of Alberta. The best one I
      found is at
      http://www1.travelalberta.com/pdf/VacationGuide2006Map.pdf#search=%22alberta
      %20map%20bassano%20bowden%22

      Use 150% to view it and hide the search bar at the side. Then follow the
      highway from Calgary to Red Deer where you will find Bowden and Innisfail.
      Then follow the highway from Calgary east and then south to find Bassano
      almost right by the Highway 1 sign (#1 inside maple leaf).

      Privately, I will send you the Home Children database results for Dance, as
      well as the Census records for Walter.

      Xenia Stanford
      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
      On behalf of