Information sought re Innisfail, Bowden and Bassano

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2006
      Is anybody interested in replying to this lady? I do not know her personally
      nor how she got my name.

      I have written to Marlene Dance and given her some information but I feel
      sure some of our members will know, for instance, if there is a Pioneer
      cemetery in Innisfail.

      Thanks.

      Rene Dussome

      E-mail dated August 20, 2006 from MARLENE DANCE [wmdance@...]

      Dear Rene;

      In trying to trace my husbands grandfather Walter Henry Dance, we have
      discovered the following:

      1) Walter Henry Dance born in the suburbs of London, England, was a
      Barnardo’s boy sent to Alberta in 1898. He was 9 years old. At the time he
      had 4 brother and sisters alive in England.

      2) He was located in Innisfail, Alberta in December of 1897 with Mr.
      Wm. N. Stiles.

      3) In Feb, of 1898 Walter is removed from Mr. Stiles and placed with a
      Mr. James Brown of Innisfail.

      4) Walter attends school locally and performs his chores well.

      We have yearly reports on Walter and follow his progress to January, of 1905
      (age 18) when Mr. Brown reports that Walter had struck out on his own, but
      was in regular touch with Mr. Brown.

      We know that he met and married Laura May Latam in 1914. They had 3 sons,
      only one of whom survived childhood.

      We know that these children were born in Calgary, Bassans, and Bowden,
      Alberta.

      The eldest, one Walter Leonard Dance, known as Len survived, married and my
      husband is the only son.

      The other two died and are buried in Bowden, Alberta.

      I wonder if you could find the time to help me with the following:

      1) Is there a Pioneer Cemetery in Innisfail? Where is it
      located?

      2) Do you know the location of Bowden, Alberta? I think it is
      somewhere near present day Sherwood Park.

      3) Do you know the location of Bassans, Alberta? Have I spelled
      it correctly?

      My husband and I are planning a trip to Alberta on Aug 29th and would like
      to visit these places especially the cemeteries.

      Can you help us?

      Kindest regards

      Mrs. Marlene Dance
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2006
        Hi MARLENE,

        I have blind carbon copied you so your email address will remain private but
        I am sending it to the AFHS dist-gen so everyone won't send you a bunch of
        the same answers or maybe even "wrong" answers. I was born in Alberta and
        have lived here almost all my life - except for a decade in BC and a few
        years in the southern hemisphere. I grew up near Innisfail and have
        travelled the highways between Calgary and Edmonton many times to visit
        family in various parts of Alberta, to take friends and family from overseas
        to sightsee and to travel to various locations for business, including
        working for a company with field offices throughout Alberta. So I hope you
        find my information useful.

        You asked

        1) Is there a Pioneer Cemetery in Innisfail? Where is it located?

        Answer: Innisfail is in Red Deer County, Alberta. It is just west of the
        city of Red Deer. There is one main cemetery but there are also some church
        cemeteries. The Innisfail & District Historical Society is indexing all the
        cemeteries in the area but are not yet finished. When they are, they plan to
        make it available online. Meanwhile either of these two contacts should be
        able to assist you:

        Innisfail Cemetery
        4943 53 St.
        Innisfail, AB
        T4G 1A1
        Contact: Kathy Collins
        Tel: 403-227-3376
        Fax: 403-227-4045
        e-mail: townhall@...

        Debra Pocha
        Town of Innisfail
        4943-53rd Street
        Innisfail, AB T4G 1A1
        Tel: (403) 227-3376

        2) Do you know the location of Bowden, Alberta? I think it is somewhere near
        present day Sherwood Park.

        Answer: Bowden is also part of Red Deer County. It is almost midway between
        Calgary and Red Deer on the Highway 2(which has been renamed Queen Elizabeth
        Highway recently but may not be on the map you may have). Sherwood Park is
        near Edmonton so Bowden is much further away from Edmonton than from
        Calgary.

        If you are going to Innisfail from Calgary you will pass Bowden first. Then
        you would continue along Highway 2 and find Innisfail at the junction of
        Highways 2 and 54 just south of Red Deer. Bowden is about 12 miles (about
        7Km) south of Innisfail.

        3) Do you know the location of Bassans, Alberta? Have I spelled it
        correctly?

        Answer: I'm sure you mean Bassano. It is in the County of Newell, near
        Brooks, Alberta. It is located 140Km(80 miles) east of Calgary and 160Km
        (95miles) west of Medicine Hat on the Number 1 (one) Highway. So it is in
        almost the opposite direction from Calgary than Bowden and Innisfail.

        I tried to find the best map of Alberta to direct you to so that you could
        see these three places which are not on all maps of Alberta. The best one I
        found is at
        http://www1.travelalberta.com/pdf/VacationGuide2006Map.pdf#search=%22alberta
        %20map%20bassano%20bowden%22

        Use 150% to view it and hide the search bar at the side. Then follow the
        highway from Calgary to Red Deer where you will find Bowden and Innisfail.
        Then follow the highway from Calgary east and then south to find Bassano
        almost right by the Highway 1 sign (#1 inside maple leaf).

        Privately, I will send you the Home Children database results for Dance, as
        well as the Census records for Walter.

        Xenia Stanford
        Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
        On behalf of