Gladstones of Alberta

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6 10:16 AM
      I'm researching a Gladstone family who primarily lived in Berwick on Tweed in Northumberland, England. Most didn't move far from that small town, so PRO and English census records have been tremendously helpful.

      But, in a very interesting turn of events (completely unexpected by the family), I have discovered just in the last couple of days that one branch came to Quebec in 1832 and by the 1850s most of that family/descendants were living in Alberta.

      Glenbow of course has lots of good resources, including fonds for several members of the family and there are works by Hugh Dempsey, etc. Southern Alberta Pioneers & Their Descendants is aware of this family and has some files as well.

      But, even as I review all this, I thought I should put the word out, in case another AFHSer has research interest in this family and would like to collaborate.

      Some of the colourful and intriguing folks who lived in Alberta were:

      1. William (Billy) Gladstone (b 1857), Cree and Blackfoot interpreter for RCMP
      2. William ("Old Glad") James Shanks Gladstone (b 1832), carpenter who is said to have built Fort Whoop-Up and have Gladstone Mountain and Gladstone Guest Ranch named for him
      3. George "Bull" Gladstone (b 1860 or 1884)
      4. James "The Gentle Persuader" Basil Gladstone (b 1887), appointed to Cdn Senate in 1858 ("First Indian Senator"
      5. Henri ("Frenchie") Frederic Benoit Arnous de la Riviere (b 1867, husband to Annie Nellie Gladstone), son of French aristocrat Henri Arnous de Riviere and Emily Blount (of Blounts who arrived in Virginia in 1600s)

      And a non-Albertan of note:
      1. John Taylor Gladstone (b 1846), Alderman in Outremont, QC

      They descend from Robert Gladstaines (b <1742 Berwick on Tweed) & Prudence ? -- the beginning of the trail I'm following.

      I'm not asking for anyone to do online or other searches. I'm well aware that there is a wealth of material (on- and off-line) available that could take years to research (yes, overwhelming). This is simply to make connection with AFHSers who may wish to collaborate.

      Judith (Judii) Rempel
      rempel@...