Followup to June 10 SIG Talk, Managing Your Email

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16 1:42 PM
      Here is a listing of some of the URLs and some of my notes from my presentation,
      "Managing Your Emails" on Saturday June 10.

      How email works at:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email

      Email etiquette from Pegasus mail web pages:

      http://www.pmail.com/etqtte.htm

      And from Ancestry Magazine:

      http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=2824

      Some of my added comments:

      1) When replying to an email, only include the relevent parts of the original in your
      reply. Remove signatures and anti-virus messages from the original. Some email
      clients allow you to highlight the text you wish to include before you click reply.
      ie. Thunderbird, Eudora, Opera and Pegasus.

      2) When including quotations in your postings, be careful to respect copywrite.

      3) Do not give private email addresses without perrmission in email sent to mailing
      lists.

      4) Set your email client preferences or options for line wrap or word wrap ( typically
      about 70 characters) so that your email does not run off on the right side of your
      recipients email reader.

      5) Ask or advise your recipient before sending attachments. Some anti-virus or filter
      programs will automatically delete attachments.

      =====================
      For managing your emails, I suggested creating a number of folders using your email
      program, making a flat folders or a hierarchical organization to suit your preference.
      Then you would create filters to sort out spam and move the emails that you want to
      keep to the appropriate folder, and/or save special emails to text files or for printing.
      (either*.txt or *.eml files)

      You need to know where your email program folders are located so that you can
      backup your email records. The default locations for some popular MS Windows
      programs follows:

      Outlook Express - search for *.dbx folders, as follows.

      For Windows 98 and ME default:

      C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{ some long string }\Microsoft\Outlook
      Express\Folder_Name*.dbx

      For Windows XP: ( I'm not certain about this as I don't use XP)

      C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\ -the rest as above-

      OE saved emails can be located wherever you save them. Will have .eml file name
      and will be readable in Notepad or any text reader.

      I have never used MS Outlook, so I am not able to say how it differs from Outlook
      Express.

      For Thunderbird, Netscape and Mozilla programs, the location will be similar to:

      C:\ ..........see above.......\Application Data\Program name\ such as

      ....\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxsome_stringxxx.default\Mail\
      FolderName\Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk, Trash etc. (with no extension)

      Mozilla email folders will be found at:

      ......\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\xxxsome_stringxxx.slt\Mail\Local Folders
      (or folder name)\Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, etc. No extension on file name containing
      the emails.

      Netscape email will be similar. If you try to use Netscape and Mozilla together, they
      will interfere with each other, as they both use or share profiles and other files.

      Eudora folders location may vary, depending on installation. They may be in the
      Eudora folder or may be found in:

      ......\Application Data\Qualcom\Eudora\xxFolder_namexx.mbx

      Opera email folders will be wherever Opera is installed as:

      .....\Opera\Mail\store\account_name\*.mbs

      Pegasus Home and New Mail locations are programmable and typically would be:

      Drive_letter\Pmail\Mail

      New mail has a *.cnm name and other folders use *.pmm and *.pmi pairs, but can be
      made to read standard *.mbx folders.

      You can try these different email programs to access the same emails if you set all but
      your master program to leave your email on your ISP server and then use your master
      program to retrieve and delete your emails on your server. The folder format for
      Thunderbird, Mozilla, Netscape, Eudora and Opera is standard even if they have no
      file name extension or use *.mbx or *.mbs. You can add or rename the folders and
      copy them to the appropriate location to make them readable by a different program.
      [Only Outlook and Outlook Express use MS's proprietary formats].

      All of these programs can easily be configured to use external Bayesian spam
      classifiers such as PopFile, K9, Spam Assassin or MailWasher, in addition to any
      built-in spam filters.

      I did not have time on Saturday to demonstrate Opera. It has a unique feature. It will
      automatically create folders for mailing lists such as RootWeb's genealogy lists and
      sort all list mail into its respective folder. However these folders only contain links to
      the main Inbox, but behave as real folders although all email is actually left in the
      received or unread folders.

      I use Pegasus mainly due to its very powerful filtering capabilities and many other
      features. Pegasus can be installed on a USB memory stick to use on any Windows
      computer. It does not use any MS Windows registry entries.

      I think my second choice for an email program would be Opera.

      If anyone has questions about Saturday's presentation or would like more details about
      the programs listed above, I would be pleased to provide more information.

      Regards,

      "Charlie Hansen" <4Charlie@...>