Re: Using Ancestry

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2006
      Bev,
      Wish I could be with you at the ancestry.ca launch! I paid for the
      ancestry.ca subscription a few days after it became available in January
      2006 and have used it almost daily. Ontario Birth and Death registration
      images are available for some of my relatives.

      Sometimes there are too many "impossible" results from an online search. The
      couple below had the exact marriage date in my FTM 2006 file. Searching
      birth, marriage and death sources one by one or limiting the search to one
      country would be helpful.

      The 1911 census has a complete name index with the usual problems guessing
      name spelling from variable quality handwriting. One World Tree has provided
      clues for location of people with common names like John Brown who moved
      elsewhere.

      Just found the first online image of an Ontario marriage registration but
      the Ancestry index didn't show the groom's name. Marriage images (that I've
      seen) have a space for names of parents of bride and groom as well as
      showing readable names that were guessed with a different surname spelling
      at the time the index was prepared.

      One of the marriage microfilm images for 1875 gave the names of parents of
      siblings who moved to Ontario in the 1850s *but* the groom name is missing
      from the Ancestry.ca index. There were two Margaret Buchanans married in
      December 1875. -- Elizabeth

      Name: Margaret Buchanan
      Marriage Date: 9 Dec 1875
      Marriage Place: Harriston
      Registration Number: 54489
      Source: Indexed by: Genealogical Research Library

      Name: Margaret Buchanan
      Birth Place: Ireland
      Age: 50
      Father Name: John Buchanan