Using Ancestry

  • Beverley A. Rees
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2006
      From the office of Bev Rees:

      I have been invited to attend the Official Launch of Ancestry.ca this Thursday in Toronto at the Ontario Heritage Centre Gallery.  After that activity I have also been asked to take part in a Round Table discussion with the Ancestry.ca team.  The roundtable will include a discussion with other local genealogists about Ancestry.ca tools, community and records.

      We will be introduced to the most comprehensive collection of Canadian genealogical data currently available online and provided key findings from a recent national survey on Canadians and Genealogy.

      I would appreciate input from any members of Dist Gen who have used Ancestry.ca since it came on-line.  Your comments will be included in the roundtable discussion on Thursday afternoon.

      Sincerely,

      Beverley A. Rees, genealogist
      Ancestor Find

    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2006
        Bev,
        Wish I could be with you at the ancestry.ca launch! I paid for the
        ancestry.ca subscription a few days after it became available in January
        2006 and have used it almost daily. Ontario Birth and Death registration
        images are available for some of my relatives.

        Sometimes there are too many "impossible" results from an online search. The
        couple below had the exact marriage date in my FTM 2006 file. Searching
        birth, marriage and death sources one by one or limiting the search to one
        country would be helpful.

        The 1911 census has a complete name index with the usual problems guessing
        name spelling from variable quality handwriting. One World Tree has provided
        clues for location of people with common names like John Brown who moved
        elsewhere.

        Just found the first online image of an Ontario marriage registration but
        the Ancestry index didn't show the groom's name. Marriage images (that I've
        seen) have a space for names of parents of bride and groom as well as
        showing readable names that were guessed with a different surname spelling
        at the time the index was prepared.

        One of the marriage microfilm images for 1875 gave the names of parents of
        siblings who moved to Ontario in the 1850s *but* the groom name is missing
        from the Ancestry.ca index. There were two Margaret Buchanans married in
        December 1875. -- Elizabeth

        Name: Margaret Buchanan
        Marriage Date: 9 Dec 1875
        Marriage Place: Harriston
        Registration Number: 54489
        Source: Indexed by: Genealogical Research Library

        Name: Margaret Buchanan
        Birth Place: Ireland
        Age: 50
        Father Name: John Buchanan