Dist gen and website

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2006
      Our service provider for the website made some software upgrades which
      stopped us having the ability to have a mailing list. The only way to have
      the mailing list back was to move the website to a different type of
      computer.

      So I have spent the last 10 days moving all the files, re-writing the
      various scripts that make the cemetery listings searchable, moving the
      databases, re-entering every user for the dist-gen and compsigtips mailing
      lists, re-enabling the password protection in various areas of the website,
      re-entering all the mailing addresses for everyone who does something for
      the society - treasurer, queries, project, programs etc.

      Oh yes in that time I also went to work and carried on with my degree
      program I am taking ( takes at least 3 hours every night and at least 6
      hours each on Sat and Sundays).

      If you find any errors in the website please advise me but also please be
      patient as I am a little busy for the foreseeable future.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447
    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2006
        Gordon:

        You deserve a medal for all the hard work you have done in the past 10 days.
        I doubt anyone else in our Society could have done it so speedily and
        efficiently. This, in addition to the contribution you have made to the
        Society as Chair and in other positions over many years.

        Thank you, thank you.

        Good luck with your degree.

        Rene Dussome

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2006
          I am sure I speak for all of us, Thank you Gordon. Dist gen is great
          to have.

          Mary Arthur
          On 16-Apr-06, at 23:42, Gordon Lane wrote:

          > So I have spent the last 10 days moving all the files, re-writing the
          > various scripts that make the cemetery listings searchable, moving the
          > databases, re-entering every user for the dist-gen and compsigtips
          > mailing
          > lists, re-enabling the password protection in various areas of the
          > website,
          > re-entering all the mailing addresses for everyone who does
          > something for
          > the society - treasurer, queries, project, programs etc.
          >
          > Gordon Lane
          > Chairman
          > Alberta Family Histories Society
          > 712-16th Ave NW,
          > Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8
          >
          > chairman@...
          > www.afhs.ab.ca
          > (403)214-1447

        • LynnTaylor
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2006

            Gordon,

            Our "Electronic Connections" for AFHS have been so smooth
            for so long that I'm sure I am not alone in admitting that one
            tends to take it all for granted and forget the volunteer hours
            and the special skills that were invested initially . . . and evidently
            . . . continue to be needed!

            Not only did you step up to the plate - but you did it while you
            were juggling many other plates!  Wow!

            Thank you for doing something the majority of us could not
            possibly do . . . applause, applause !!!

            Lynn (Taylor)

          • Phyllis ZIAJKA
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2006
              HEAR HEAR.... or should it be HERE HERE.... Whatever.... a Great Big THANK-YOU to Gordon!!!

              Please let me also take this opp. to say HI to all my AFHS friends that I've missed all winter. I'm finally enroute Tucson to Calgary, and at present in SLC (for one more day). A big snow storm here this mordning, but clearing up now... hope thats all, and we don't see any when we get back to Calgary at the end of the week.

              Hope to see all of you at the May Meeting.
              Cheers, Phyllis Ziajka