Winter Deadlines for CHINOOK

  • Ellen Kinghorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2002
      Alberta Family Histories Society (AFHS)

      A special thanks goes out to all AFHS members who contributed to the October issue of CHINOOK.  CHINOOK’s continuing success greatly depends upon your valuable submissions.

      Donna Marchak, the new editor, volunteered well over 60 hours of her expertise in seeing the publication was delivered on time.  Considering the obstacles she had to overcome, this was a considerable challenge.  (I have gained a whole new respect for and applaud Doug Stobbs.  You will be happy to know that Doug has agreed to help put together a “Policy and Procedures Manual” for CHINOOK, in order to provide uninterrupted continuity, no matter who volunteers their time.)

      I think you should all know a little more about Donna.  She gained her publishing experience working at the Calgary Chamber of Commerce where she was responsible for “Calgary Commerce”, their business magazine.  Some of you may be familiar with Chinook Mall’s glossy promotion magazine….Donna was totally involved in the production.  She has been the editor of numerous newsletters and works as a consultant, writer and photographer for businesses in the Calgary area.  Donna is also busy raising three children ages 14 to 6 years.  Two of those children are in the highly respected educational GATE program for gifted children and it is expected the youngest child, Morgan, will enter GATE when she comes of age.   Donna volunteered to be editor of CHINOOK because she is my friend and I asked her to do it.  I owe her big time…and if it were possible to turn back the clock, I’d have to say I would name my first born girl after her.

      We have the new Editorial Board to thank for the on-going direction they are providing and we look forward to their analytical critique of the October issue.  We are satisfied that the direction we are taking with CHINOOK will prove itself and know we have a distance to go yet.

      Alas, I am afraid that now we have put this one “to bed”, we have to quickly start working on the next issue, especially since we will be working on it over the Christmas season.  So, with that in mind, I leave you with the following:

      Alberta Family Histories Society (AFHS)

      CHINOOK WINTER ISSUE DEADLINES NOTICE

      Articles, news items and other submissions to the Alberta Family Histories Society’s CHINOOK publication, are welcome from AFHS members, friends of the Society, or anyone interested in the advancement of genealogy and family history.

      Please send your articles double- spaced with wide margins or in text format on a computer disk.  If you are sending photos or graphics electronically, they should be in TIFF or high resolution JPEG files.  The editors reserve the right to publish submissions at their discretion.

      Articles and photographs published in CHINOOK are copyright by the author unless otherwise noted.

      Please phone  Donna Marchak at  253-7800 or send your submissions directly to chinook@... .

      The WINTER issue of CHINOOK is scheduled for delivery to the AFHS general meeting, Monday, 6 January 2003.

      THE DEADLINE FOR COPY IS MONDAY, 4 NOVEMBER 2002.

      Respectfully,

      Ellen Kinghorn

    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2002
        Hi ELLEN:

        I haven't seen the new look yet but I'm excited for you.  You'll get my critique as soon as I've had an opportunity to read it.
        I will also suggest a Mission Statement for it.  Remember?

        Cheers

        Bill

        --
        William A. Campbell
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada

      • Ellen Kinghorn
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
          At the moment Bill, we are "living" the mission statement we already have, but are always willing to "improve".  Look forward to your analysis....we know we have only taken a baby step, and have a ways to go yet.  It is quite exciting and the combined enthusiasm of AFHS members is sure to be reflected in future issues.

          Also, I wanted to get in touch with you to let you know I have been talking with Marianne Wilkat from the Ogden Seniors group.  She is an avid genealogist and I suggested to her, that I could do a beginner's course for members.  In mentioning it to George Lake, he told me you are busy doing just that....going around to seniors and getting them started.  So, I wonder if you would like to take over the Ogden initiative?  I could still help out with it if you needed me, but if you already have a program prepared and it's working, I don't want to waste your efforts.

          Please let me know?

          Sincerely,