Elk Park MB

  • Linda Holdaway
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2006
      the original sender

      Hi all,

      Does anyone know where Elk Park, MB is?

      I have checked this web
      site: http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php

      No luck there nor searching under google.

      (This is in reference to a 1904 marriage so perhaps Elk Park no longer
      exists under that name???)

      Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.

      Linda Holdaway

    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2006
        the original sender

        It is now called Elk Island Park

        Visitors to this prairie oasis might expect to cross a bridge to a park on
        an island, but the 200 km2 park is quite certainly on solid ground, without
        water all around. In fact, Elk Island National Park would perhaps cause less
        head scratching if it went by its original name, "Elk Park," established in
        1906. Elk Island does exist, but only as one of several small islands in the
        park's Astotin Lake. It's where the elk of this area once swam to calve in
        season. That small island may have served as a birthing place, but the whole
        park is also a metaphorical island for the elk and bison that call it home.
        A 2.2-metre fence rings the park, preventing the animals from wandering
        > Please note that your reply will now only go to
        > the original sender
        >

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Does anyone know where Elk Park, MB is?
        >
        > I have checked this web site:
        > http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/search/search_e.php
        >
        > No luck there nor searching under google.
        >
        > (This is in reference to a 1904 marriage so perhaps Elk Park no longer
        > exists under that name???)
        >
        > Many thanks for any suggestions you may have.
        >
        > Linda Holdaway
        >
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Sharon