FW: Family Tree Magazine News Service 03-16-06

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18 1:42 PM
      the original sender

      FYI

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Family Tree Newsletter [mailto:familytree-newslette@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:07 PM
      To: gordonplane@...
      Subject: Family Tree Magazine News Service 03-16-06

      F A M I L Y T R E E M A G A Z I N E N E W S S E R V I C E

      March 16, 2006
      http://www.familytreemagazine.com

      Thank you for subscribing to the Family Tree News Service. You may include
      any and all of the following articles in your print or online publication
      free of charge, provided that you include the following
      statement:

      ***

      Reprinted with permission from Family Tree Magazine
      Email Update, copyright 2006 F+W Publications Inc. To
      subscribe to this free weekly e-mail newsletter, go to
      http://www.familytreemagazine.com/newsletter.asp.
      For a free sample copy of the print Family Tree
      Magazine, America's #1 family history magazine, go to
      http://www.familytreemagazine.com/specialoffers.asp?FAMfreeissue

      IN THIS EDITION

      * Good News for Irish Roots
      * Be a Civil War Volunteer
      * Behold the Power of Cheeseheads
      * Sneak Peeks at FamilyTreeMagazine.com
      * Speakers' Schedule

      GOOD NEWS FOR IRISH ROOTS

      Investigate your Irish roots this St. Patrick's Day by
      digging up some obituaries and birth and marriage
      announcements in the new Irish Newspaper Archives
      (http://irishnewspaperarchives.com). It covers more
      than a million pages from The Freeman's Journal (1763
      to 1924), Irish Independent (1905 to 2003), Sunday
      Independent (1935 to 2006), The Connaught Telegraph
      (1975 to 2003), The Tuam Herald (1994 to 2000),
      Leitrim Observer (1923 to 1970), Meath Chronicle
      (1897 to 2002) and The Anglo-Celt (1908 to 2001).
      Not all years are complete for a given newspaper,
      though.

      Searches are free, but you have to register and pay to
      view articles. Your first 10 views are free; additional
      credits cost $10 for 20. A page image costs one credit.

      You can search on a keyword plus a date range and
      publication, or browse individual issues by date. My
      search returned matches far outside the dates I
      entered--webmasters say they don't yet have full
      support for Mac users, so that may be the problem.
      They also promise an advanced search is coming.
      (Since I also had trouble registering, I recommend that
      before purchasing anything, you use your free credits
      to make sure you can successfully order and download
      articles.)

      BE A CIVIL WAR VOLUNTEER

      The Civil War Preservation Trust is gathering an army
      of volunteers to spend April 1 sprucing up more than
      90 historic battlefields, cemeteries and shrines in 21
      states.

      For the 10th year, Park Day participants wielding paint
      brushes, trash bags and weed whackers will attack
      tasks such as raking leaves, painting signs, building
      trails and removing trash. They'll receive T-shirts and
      get the chance to hear local experts talk about the
      sites' history.

      Get a list of places you can serve on Park Day at
      http://www.civilwar.org/parkday. To sign up, contact a
      site directly; click on the site name for information.

      See the March 2 E-mail Update newsletter at
      http://www.familytreemagazine.com/newsletter/
      archive.html to find out which Civil War battlefields are
      most endangered this year.

      BEHOLD THE POWER OF CHEESEHEADS

      Descendants of Winconsin residents now have the
      power to look up their ancestors online: The state
      historical society has launched a free online index of
      pre-1907 births at http://www.wisconsinhistory.
      org/vitalrecords. The database, built with a 1970s-era
      microfiche index and tens of thousands of delayed
      birth records, catalogs more than a million Wisconsin
      births from the 1840s through 1907.

      Search the index by just a last name, or add a first
      name, county, birth date or birth year. If you know the
      birth date, you can search on it plus a first name. Or,
      when information is really sparse, browse by a county
      and a birth year. Once you find your ancestor, a quick
      click lets you order a $15 copy of the record.

      The society plans to add pre-1907 death and marriage
      indexes in the next few months. Until those are
      available, you can request a search through the
      Wisconsin Genealogical Research Service
      (http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/genealogy/ogrs).

      SNEAK PEEKS AT FAMILYTREEMAGAZINE.COM

      Be first to check out what's new on our Web site:

      * Quick Clicks
      No more typing in those endless URLs. We've given you
      links to all the sites our genealogy experts recommend in
      the April 2006 Family Tree Magazine. Just go to this Web
      page and click the article titles.
      http://www.familytreemagazine.com/mags/
      display.asp?id=1756

      * Irish Ethnic Toolkit
      Get started discovering your Celtic ancestors using our
      list of books, Web sites, organizations and other
      resources.
      http://www.familytreemagazine.com/
      ethnic_cat.asp?ethnicity=Irish

      SPEAKERS' SCHEDULE

      * Colorado Springs, Col.
      Sharon DeBartolo Carmack
      March 18
      Zebulon Pike Chapter, Daughters of the American
      Revoution
      - Topic: Mrs. Who?: Methods for Finding Your Female
      Ancestors
      For more information, see http://members.aol.com/
      zebpikedar.

      * Ft. Pierce, Fla.
      Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
      March 18
      Treasure Coast Genealogical Society
      Topics:
      - Trace Your Roots with DNA
      - Beyond Y-DNA: Your Genetic Genealogy Options
      For more information, see http://www.rootsweb.com/
      ~tcgs/.

      * Deland, Fla.
      Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
      March 19
      Roots & Branches Genealogical Society at DeLand
      Public Library
      - Topic: Trace Your Roots with DNA
      For more information, contact Jerry Hale at
      randiosailor@....

      * Collingswood, NJ
      Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
      March 23
      Camden County Historical Society at Collingswood
      Senior-Community Center
      -Topic: Trace Your Roots with DNA
      For more information, see http://www.CCHSnj.com.

      * Vancouver, Wa.
      Sharon DeBartolo Carmack
      March 25
      Clark County Genealogical Society
      Topics:
      - Primetime's 20/20 Dateline: Sharon Carmack
      Interviews Ole Smirnoff Bernatelli, the World's Oldest
      Living Genealogist (with James W. Warren)
      - Writing Your Female Ancestors' Stories
      - Mrs. Who?: Methods for Finding Your Female
      Ancestors
      For more information, see
      http://www.ccgs-wa.org/p4307.htm.

      * Tavistock, NJ
      Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
      March 29
      Haddonfield Historical Society at the Tavistock Country
      Club
      - Topic: Remembering Our Ancestors
      For more information, see
      http://www.historicalsocietyofhaddonfield.org/.

      * Lancaster, Pa.
      James M. Beidler
      April 1
      Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society Family
      History Conference
      Topics:
      - Contrasting German Migrations:
      18th-Century vs. 19th-Century Waves
      - Philadelphia Research: Repositories and Records
      For more information, see http://www.lmhs.org.

      * Oklahoma City, Okla.
      Sharon DeBartolo Carmack
      April 1
      Oklahoma Genealogical Society
      Topics:
      - Flesh on the Bones: Putting Your Ancestors Into
      Historical Perspective
      - The Silent Woman: Bringing a Name to Life
      - The Immigrant Experience: From Steerage to
      Ellis Island
      - From Yawner to Page Turner: Writing Your Ancestor's
      Story
      For more information, see
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~okgs.

      * Westampton, NJ
      Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
      April 5
      Burlington County Genealogy Club at Burlington
      County Public Library
      - Topic: Trace Your Roots with DNA
      For more information, see
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~njbcgc/.

      * Plain City, Ohio
      James M. Beidler
      April 8
      Ohio Chapter, Palatines to America Spring Seminar
      Topics:
      - Tips for Beginning Genealogists
      - Hunting a Homestead Using Land Records
      For more information, see http://www.oh-palam.org.

      * Stony Brook, NY
      Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak
      April 8
      Genealogy Federation of Long Island
      Topics:
      - Trace Your Roots with DNA
      - Reverse Genealogy: Finding Your Lost Loved Ones
      For more information, see
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gfli/.

      * Boston, Mass.
      Maureen A. Taylor
      April 8
      New England Historic Genealogical Society Seminar:
      Your Family History: Plan Before You Write
      Topic:
      - Historical Context: Adding Colorful History to Your
      Family Story
      For more information, see
      http://www.newenglandancestors.org.

      To change the address we send messages to, click here:
      http://fwpubs.sparklist.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=familytreenews
      (YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSWORD, enter only your email address
      stated above.)

      Questions?
      To ensure a timely response to your questions concerning
      magazine subscriptions or other general help, please see
      http://www.familytreemagazine.com/contactus.html
      Please only reply to this message with newsletter-specific
      questions.
      F+W Publications, Inc.
      4700 East Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45236