FW: Old Black&White Photos

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2006
      the original sender

      I am forwarding the comments I sent to Gordon about curling and cracked
      photographs, in case anyone should decide to follow the advice given
      earlier. Particularly identification of which layer is damaged and
      pre-cleaning before any other treatment is carried out.

      By the way, when the photographs are in a box as recommended below, a
      humidifer in the room near the box is recommended. I also forgot to warn
      about the dangers of too much humidity if the photograph(s) are left too
      long near the high humidity source - e.g. mould - this is another reason for
      cleaning before adding an indirect high humidity source and for not cleaning
      with water or applying water directly to the photographic image or any of
      its layers. Also to ensure the items are not left in the high humidity
      source for too long.