FW: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER V2#11 - 16 March 2006

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2006
      the original sender

      fyi

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Malcolm Moody [mailto:malcolm@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:56 AM
      To: chairman@...
      Subject: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER V2#11 - 16 March 2006

      Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER V2#11 - 16 March 2006

      Contents:
      1 WELCOME
      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER
      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES (2)
      4 COMING SOON
      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS
      Census of England - Copies of original enumerator's books (9)
      British Books (2 )
      6 NEWS & GOSSIP
      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS

      1 WELCOME:
      Welcome to the Archive CD Books Canada March newsletter.

      This newsletter will be published whenever we have enough information to
      make it worth your while reading, but that usually means there will be about
      one a month.

      Remember this Newsletter is published for you so if you think we’re missing
      something important drop me a line to Malcolm@....

      Newsletters work best when they get a good circulation. We’re doing our
      best to let people know about it but you could help us along by mentioning
      it to your genealogy buddies and generally spreading the word.

      All newsletter administration messages should be e-mailed to
      Books@...

      In the Subject line you may write:
      Subscribe
      Unsubscribe
      Halt (if you want to put a temporary stop to receiving newsletters) Resume
      (to lift the Halt and resume receiving newsletters.)

      All previous newsletters may be accessed by logging on to
      http://www.ArchiveCDBooks.ca/NewsletterArchive.html

      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER:

      A total of 13 new title releases in this newsletter.
      New releases from Archive CD Books Canada.
      New Census of England and Wales sections on CD New British Books on CD News,
      Gossip, and more.

      --------------------------
      To find a book on our web site http://www.archivecdbooks.ca take a note of
      the catalogue number - or use the “copy” function - go to the web site,
      click on the “Search Page” link and enter, or “paste,” the number into the
      “Product Number” box. Hit “Search” and then “More” and you will be in a
      position to reread the description or to place your order.
      Alternatively you can browse through the catalogue using the drop down
      headings lists. We have tried to multi-list books where they correspond to
      more than one category but consider the possibility that the subject you are
      looking for may be under a related heading.

      There is frequently more information about the books available on the web
      site than that which is included in the following descriptions.
      All prices in $Cdn.

      -----------------------------
      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES:

      * The Call to Arms, Montreal's Roll of Honor
      CA0205: $19.00
      The preface to this book provides it's own description of the aims and
      objectives of its publication: "THE CALL TO ARMS is the work of a few
      Montreal citizens who, with the aid of many friends, took upon themselves to
      endeavor to produce a tangible record of the manifold and splendid ways in
      which Montrealers, military and civil, have served their Country and their
      Empire during the last five months of 1914.
      Their first object was to record these facts; secondly, their desire was to
      serve the Montreal Patriotic Fund by turning over to its treasurer the
      proceeds of the publication, above the actual net cost of production and
      distribution. ... "

      The slightly over 200 pages of this rare expensive book are packed with the
      names of Montreal citizens who "joined up" or served the war effort in a
      civilian capacity. Particularly unusual is the number of women who are
      credited in their own right for their war work.

      The book is not specific about its publication date but it does indicate
      that it was compiled in the last five months of 1914 so the military records
      give the names from the 1st and 2nd contingents of the Canadian
      Expeditionary Force (CEF). It also gives a brief history of each military
      organization which was staffed with Montrealers, identifying them by name
      and service rank. The military units who's members are identified are given
      in the description on our web site as are the civilian organizations who's
      activities are described and who's participants are named

      There is also an interesting section giving various scales of pay and
      allowance for those serving in the military.

      * Manitoba Provincial (Subscriber & Classified) Telephone Directory
      #119, December 1947
      CA0147: $23.00
      This directory lists all of the Provincial and Rural subscribers of
      Manitoba in December 1947 except those in Greater Winnipeg. The exact
      wording used in the directory is, “Manitoba Telephone System, Official
      Directory for Provincial Exchanges and Rural Districts of Manitoba
      exclusive of Greater Winnipeg.” In addition there is a large section
      of what we would today call the Yellow Pages or the Classified Business
      Directory, but what this directory calls, “WHERE TO BUY IT.”

      Altogether there are over 400 pages in this directory, 287 of them in
      the list of subscribers, each listing well over 100 numbers. The
      subscribers directory is arranged by exchange and there are hundreds of
      them. Based on a sampling, the names of the exchanges seem to be the
      same as place names still in use today but there are also listings of
      other places which were not served by their own exchange (giving the
      name of the exchange which did serve them) which we had very limited
      success in finding on a modern map. We suspect this directory may also
      be a useful tool for finding places whose names are no longer in use.

      We have configured this CD to be text searchable using the Search or
      Find features of your PDF reader application. This will help you find
      a subscriber even if you don’t know exactly where they lived. This
      is a wonderful resource to help you find people in Manitoba (outside
      greater Winnipeg) in 1947.

      ----------------------------------

      4 COMING SOON:

      We now have J. L. Gourlay's "History of the Ottawa Valley" and it's
      waiting it's turn on the scanner. At a glance it is an interesting, if
      somewhat eccentric (there are only two chapters!) book.

      We are still working on the Great War books loaned to us by another
      friend of the Project. The "Call to Arms" above is the first of this
      set.

      Because of the large volume of Great War material we have on hand at
      the moment we are also trying to fit in other interesting items for
      those of you who do not have a direct interest in that event.

      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS:
      (All prices in $Cdn.)

      -------------------------------
      CENSUS OF ENGLAND AND WALES - NEW RELEASES

      1861 ESSEX CENSUS IN INDIVIDUAL PIECES

      THE COMPLETE COUNTY SET (9 CDs) ALREADY IN OUR CATALOGUE

      In addition to the full county set, we have just made parts of the
      Essex 1861 census available on individual CDs, each containing a range
      of census pieces.
      If you do not need the whole county, then this is the opportunity for
      you to buy smaller parts at a more affordable price for the districts
      in which you have interest. NOTE: The census is not necessarily
      organized by logical geographical districts. Please refer to the lists
      shown against each individual CDs entry in our web site catalogue to
      see which places are included on which CD. Be aware that some places
      occasionally occur on more than one CD. (We have not divided the CDs
      into geographical areas - but have kept strictly to the HO
      classifications as per the original census references).

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD1) RG9/1054-1063
      C1861ESS01: $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD2) RG9/1064-1071
      C1861ESS02: $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD3) RG9/1072-1078
      C1861ESS03: $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD4) RG9/1079-1084
      C1861ESS04: $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD5) RG9/1085-1092
      C1861ESS05: $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD6) RG9/1093-1101
      C1861ESS06: $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD7) RG9/1102-1109
      C1861ESS07; $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD8) RG9/1110-1115
      C1861ESS08: $16.10

      * 1861 Essex Census (CD9) RG9/1116-1123
      C1861ESS09: $16.10

      ---------------------------------
      BRITISH BOOKS - NEW RELEASES

      * Origins of Popular Superstitions, Customs & Ceremonies by T. Sharper
      Knowlson, 1910
      GB1354: $26.70

      A wonderfully fascinating book, just as applicable today as it was
      when it was written, or in the times relating to our ancestors.
      Superstitions and customs relating to days and seasons; Marriage
      superstitions and customs; Divination and Omens, and lots more.

      * The National Roll of The Great War - London, Section 2
      GB1372: $26.70
      An excellent book with details of the people from London who served in
      the Great War. Not just soldiers, but also those with other
      occupations. Nurses, key factory workers etc. Family names are very
      easy to find as the books were arranged alphabetically, but
      unfortunately there is no index of places and there seems to be no
      pattern to the areas of coverage.

      ----------------------------------

      6 NEWS & GOSSIP:

      If any of you have genealogy related questions of a general nature - or
      something specifically related to Archive CD Books - we'd be glad to
      publish your question in this newsletter to tap into the enormous fund
      of knowledge which I know is out there.

      * BENEFITS OF THE STRONG CANADIAN DOLLAR
      The strength of our Canadian dollar means that we have been able to
      reduce our prices on many of our partner's more expensive titles. We
      have just finished lowering over 2000 prices on our web site.

      * SPECIALS:
      We have finally settled on a date to terminate our free offer to new
      customers of “Manners and Rules of Good Society,” CA0009. We will be
      replacing it with a different type of offer which we hope you are going
      to find even more interesting.

      * SHIPPING CHARGES:
      Our shopping cart does still tend to overcharge for multiple orders.
      If you are overcharged we will make a rebate against your credit card.
      We ONLY want to cover our costs on Postage and Packing. It's not
      another source of income. If you want to place a larger order - say 6
      or more titles - please contact us and we’ll make sure you get the
      right shipping charges.
      (Apologies for repetition on this item. We want to make sure new
      subscribers to the newsletter see this important announcement.)

      * CATALOGUE CHANGE:
      Our list of books on Ontario was getting far too long so we have
      introduced another layer of sub-categories in our on-line catalogue.
      When you click on "Ontario" you will get another selection list showing
      "Directories" and "History." We debated over making the second
      category "Everything Else" but sanity prevailed so "History" it is. It
      does, however, contain everything else!

      * IN PERSON APPEARANCES:
      SEE YOU AT THE OTTAWA OGS GENE-O-RAMA SHOW THIS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.
      We have some GREAT specials planned for the show including WE PAY THE
      TAX ON ALL PURCHASES!

      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS:

      Spring Lecture Series at Grey Roots.
      New this year, the Grey County Archives will be offering a four week
      Spring Lecture Series Thursday afternoons at 2:30 p.m. starting 16
      March:
      * 16 March 2006: Progress, Beauty, Truth: The Heritage Architecture of
      Grey County; Presented by Bob Greenberg
      * 23 March 2006: Preserving Your Heirlooms I: Furniture & Textiles;
      Presented by Stacy McLennan
      * 30 March 2006: Early Land Treaties of Grey County; Presented by
      Stephanie McMullen
      * 6 April 2006: Preserving Your Heirlooms II: Photographs & Paper:
      Presented by Stacy McLennan
      Regular admission rates apply. For more information please contact
      Grey Roots: Museum & Archives at (519) 376-3690.

      -----------------------------
      The Ottawa Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society will be holding
      it's annual genealogy conference; GENE-O-RAMA 2006 on 17 - 18 March
      2006 at Orleans United Church, 111 Orleans Blvd., Ottawa (Orleans),
      Ontario.
      For more details and registration go on-line to:
      http://www.ogsottawa.on.ca/geneorama/ or e-mail
      to:conference@... or write to: GENE-O-RAMA, c/o 6509
      Waddion Drive, Greely, ON K4P 1E7
      ARCHIVE CD BOOKS CANADA WILL BE SUPPORTING THIS MEETING.

      --------------------------------
      The British Columbia Genealogical Society presents Ken Aitken, family
      history lecturer, in seminar & lecture sessions, in Surrey & Burnaby,
      B.C., Canada.
      March 24th 2006: evening discussion seminar, "Solving Complex Research
      Problems" & March 25, 2006: daytime lectures & analysis session:
      "Distance Learning"; "Canadian Border Entry Records" & "Evaluating
      Birth Marriage & Death Information".
      Location of Lectures: Edmonds Centre, 7282 Kingsway (corner of Edmonds
      & Kingsway), Burnaby, B.C.
      Tickets for non B.C.G.S./affiliate members: $30 Friday evening (limited
      seating) & $50 Saturday sessions. Tickets available in person at
      B.C.G.S. meetings or by mail: B.C.G.S., P. O. Box 88054, Lansdowne
      Mall, Richmond, B.C., Canada V6X 3T6
      For details, including prices for B.C.G.S. & affiliate members, please
      see the B.C.G.S. website: www.bcgs.ca or call Susan Snalem 604 273 8209
      (Greater Vancouver) or e-mail Eunice Robinson at eunice@...
      ------------------------------

      Come celebrate Archives Awareness Week at Grey Roots. We will be
      offering special events on Thursday April 6 and Saturday April 8.
      Activities include:
      1:00 p.m. - Grey County trivia game; 2:00 p.m. - showing of “The
      Archival Trail” film; 2:30 p.m. - “Preserving your Heirlooms” seminar;
      3:30, 4:00, 4:30 p.m. - Behind the Scenes tours. Regular admission
      rates apply.
      ATTENTION RESEARCHERS: FREE ADMISSION TO READING ROOM ALL WEEK!!
      Grey Roots, 102599 Grey Road 18, RR4, Owen Sound, ON N4K 5N6 : (877)
      GREY-ROOTS x. 111
      -------------------------------

      The 5th Annual Grey County Black History Event: North American
      Connections
      Saturday, April 29th 2006, 8:30-4:30
      Durham Arena and Community Centre, 451 Saddler St. W. Durham, ON, Canada
      Feature Presentation by Peter Hanes: Shared U.S. – Canadian Black
      History and Cultural Experiences
      For more information, Greta Kennedy, P.O. Box 709 Durham, ON, N0G 1R0,
      Tel: 519-369-3119, Fax: 519-369-2399, Email: gretakennedy@...
      OR The Grey County Archives: Tel: 519-376-3690 x113 Fax: 519-376-4654
      Email: archives@...
      ------------------------------

      The Ontario Genealogical Society is holding it's annual seminar, "From
      Buggy Whips .. to Microchips," between 26 - 28 May, 2006. It is being
      hosted this year by the Durham Region Branch of the OGS and will take
      place at Durham College & University campus, 1910 Simcoe Street N.,
      Oshawa, Ontario, L1G 4Y3.
      For full details, program and registration go on-line to:
      http://www.ogsseminar.org/index.htm , or call Anne Delong (Registrar)
      on 1-905-623-6975
      ARCHIVE CD BOOKS CANADA WILL BE SUPPORTING THIS MEETING.

      -----------------------------
      On October 13 & 14, 2006 the Alberta Family Histories Society will
      present its biennial Expo Seminar (Calgary's genealogy event of the
      year), FAMILYROOTS 2006, at the Carriage House Inn.
      For further details consult  the website:  www.afhs.ab.ca
      Your support would be much appreciated. Submitted by: BILL CAMPBELL,
      AFHS, Public Relations
      The Society kindly invited Archive CD Books Canada to attend this
      meeting but - unfortunately - we had to decline with thanks.

      DON’T FORGET WE CAN HELP YOUR GROUP TO SPREAD THE NEWS. E-MAIL US.

      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS:
      Archives of this newsletter showing all the previous release
      announcements are available in the newsletter archive which can be
      reached through,
      <http://www.ArchiveCDBooks.ca/NewsletterArchive.html>

      All our newly released books are listed on our web site in the "New
      Releases and Special Offers" page. Go to:
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/new.html> for an instant update on our
      new products or look through the "New Releases" category in the on-line
      catalogue.

      Archive CD Books Canada Inc.
      Attn.: Malcolm Moody - President
      P.O. Box 11,