Ukrainian SIG and Christmas Eve celebration

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2002
      Hi all with Ukrainian roots and those who wish to help us celebrate
      Christmas Eve according to the Julian calendar!

      It is never too early to start planning and since George announced it at the
      meeting, it is official. We are invited to show off our heritage and give a
      sample of our cooking.

      Tonight I received a new contact for our growing group. Not only is he
      knowledgeable about Ukrainian history, his non-Ukrainian wife (or at least
      she thought she was until she traced one line back from the British Isles to
      Kiev) apparently is a wonderful Ukrainian cook and he is not too bad
      himself - says he makes the best holubtsi (aka cabbage rolls) around. So I
      told him they were both officially volunteered!

      Mertie Beatty will make her kutia, which she served last Christmas Eve and
      the best I ever tasted. So we have a few cooks, however, to give a taste to
      hundreds - we need some planning. I would like to arrange a SIG meeting in
      early November (perhaps we can find some space in the church before the
      November meeting).

      Please let me know if you would like to volunteer to make one of the 12
      traditional Christmas Eve dishes (I will send out a list of what qualifies
      later) or if you have Ukrainian objects or artifacts to show at this event.

      Also don't forget to visit the Ukrainian SIG table at Family Roots. I will
      have the put out the list of dishes there and a sign-up sheet for the SIG
      and for the cooking!

      How do we top the Christmas Eve celebration? I am hoping it will be by a
      pysanky making event just before Easter. If anyone knows an expert willing
      to help us make our own decorated Easter eggs, please let me know so we can
      sign him or her up to teach the rest of us.

      Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
      "Nos Racines Francaises"
      Local book and magazine sales:
      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564