Re: Ukrainian months

  • Gordon Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      the original sender

      Marlene:

      Try the following website and put in the English month names to get the
      Ukrainian equivalents in the Cyrillic alphabet. It's a bit of a kludge, but
      it should work.

      Cheers,
      Gordon

      http://www.martindalecenter.com/Language_2_LanguagesSZ.html#ENGTO-UKRA

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        the original sender

        Hi Marlene:
        These are the months you asked for:

        1. January
        2. October
        3. December
        4. August

        I am taking Ukrainian 101 at the University and have a few things like
        this at my
        fingertips. Although I am far from being fluent, I can usually translate
        the head stones and simple forms, although I cannot yet read handwritten
        stuff.

        Anytime I can try to be of help, do not hesitate to contact me.

        Mertie Beatty

        > Please note that your reply will now only go to
        > the original sender
        >

        > Hello
        >
        > Would someone please be able to assist me in deciphering months inscribed
        > on some cemetery markers that I am proof reading?
        > 1. CI4H reverse R
        > 2. X and I combined, followed by OBTH reverse R
        > 3. rPY rectangular shape H reverse R
        > 4. CEP II joined at the top H reverse R
        >
        > I apologize for my description, but that's the best I can do on my
        > computer!!
        >
        > Thank you in advance!
        > Marlene Knott
        >
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Gordon Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
          the original sender

          I neglected to mention in my earlier message to Marilyn that Martindale's
          Reference Desk (url below) has an exceptional range of "stuff" that should
          be of interest to genealogists: dictionaries and translators from and to all
          sorts of languages, including some obscure ones (Gujurati, Tamil, Rangjung
          Reshe, Finnish, Tagalog, . . .).