Ukrainian months

  • Marlene Knott
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      the original sender

      Hello

      Would someone please be able to assist me in deciphering months
      inscribed on some cemetery markers that I am proof reading?
      1. CI4H reverse R
      2. X and I combined, followed by OBTH reverse R
      3. rPY rectangular shape H reverse R
      4. CEP II joined at the top H reverse R

      I apologize for my description, but that's the best I can do on my
      computer!!

      Thank you in advance!
      Marlene Knott

    • Gordon Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        the original sender

        Marlene:

        Try the following website and put in the English month names to get the
        Ukrainian equivalents in the Cyrillic alphabet. It's a bit of a kludge, but
        it should work.

        Cheers,
        Gordon

        http://www.martindalecenter.com/Language_2_LanguagesSZ.html#ENGTO-UKRA

        | Please note that your reply will now only go to
        | the original sender
        |

        | Hello
        |
        | Would someone please be able to assist me in deciphering months
        | inscribed on some cemetery markers that I am proof reading?
        | 1. CI4H reverse R
        | 2. X and I combined, followed by OBTH reverse R
        | 3. rPY rectangular shape H reverse R
        | 4. CEP II joined at the top H reverse R
        |
        | I apologize for my description, but that's the best I can do on my
        | computer!!
        |
        | Thank you in advance!
        | Marlene Knott
        |
        | http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        |
        | http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Mertie Beatty
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
          the original sender

          Hi Marlene:
          These are the months you asked for:

          1. January
          2. October
          3. December
          4. August

          I am taking Ukrainian 101 at the University and have a few things like
          this at my
          fingertips. Although I am far from being fluent, I can usually translate
          the head stones and simple forms, although I cannot yet read handwritten
          stuff.

          Anytime I can try to be of help, do not hesitate to contact me.

          Mertie Beatty

          > Please note that your reply will now only go to
          > the original sender
          >

          > Hello
          >
          > Would someone please be able to assist me in deciphering months inscribed
          > on some cemetery markers that I am proof reading?
          > 1. CI4H reverse R
          > 2. X and I combined, followed by OBTH reverse R
          > 3. rPY rectangular shape H reverse R
          > 4. CEP II joined at the top H reverse R
          >
          > I apologize for my description, but that's the best I can do on my
          > computer!!
          >
          > Thank you in advance!
          > Marlene Knott
          >
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Gordon Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
            the original sender

            I neglected to mention in my earlier message to Marilyn that Martindale's
            Reference Desk (url below) has an exceptional range of "stuff" that should
            be of interest to genealogists: dictionaries and translators from and to all
            sorts of languages, including some obscure ones (Gujurati, Tamil, Rangjung
            Reshe, Finnish, Tagalog, . . .).