Re: Macs

  • Donna Coulter
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
      Wendy-- Why don't you keep your old PC ---- you wont get anything for it
      on any trade-in. Then you wont have to worry about changing.
      Hubby can have anything he wants copied to the Apple-- by the vendor. Or
      maybe he wants to upgrade his PC.
      Does he do Genealogy too?

      I don't know anything about Apple but those that have them swear by them.
      Me? I don't want to be bothered learning a new system either.

      We know someone that can advise you. --- Don't we Mary (Our Expert!)

      Good Luck
      Donna Coulter

      Fitzpatrick, Wendy wrote:

      >Everyone,
      >
      >My husband wants to change our home PC to the wonderful world of an
      >Apple/Mac computer - you know the one that accepts the CD at the side of
      >the monitor.
      >
      >I've heard rumours that it may not be the best choice for a lot of
      >genealogy file sharing amongst family members.
      >
      >I currently use the PAF 5 on Win2000, and I don't feel like transferring
      >all this data to another software just so I can use a Mac. He's under
      >the impression that the Mac is virus free because 90% of the globe is
      >using Microsoft and that Windows is also not a stable platform. I just
      >don't want to waste time dealing with other software issues because of
      >the change and how it will affect me doing Family History.
      >
      >Thanks. Any comments would be appreciated.
      >
      >Wendy
      >
      >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Mary Arthur
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
        Dear Wendy,

        Your husband is correct, the Mac is 99% virus free, and Windows is a buggy platform.

        File sharing between any any two programs is problematic.

        Donna is also correct, take everything but your genealogy off of the PC, use it and connect to the world through the Mac.

        One caveat, PAF us not being upgraded and/or supported, so you will eventually have to switch to another program. When YOU decide you want to, the computer users group can help - feel free to email me when you do.

        On 27-Feb-06, at 11:00, Fitzpatrick, Wendy wrote:

        Everyone,

        My husband wants to change our home PC to the wonderful world of an
        Apple/Mac computer - you know the one that accepts the CD at the side of
        the monitor.

        I've heard rumours that it may not be the best choice for a lot of
        genealogy file sharing amongst family members.

        I currently use the PAF 5 on Win2000, and I don't feel like transferring
        all this data to another software just so I can use a Mac. He's under
        the impression that the Mac is virus free because 90% of the globe is
        using Microsoft and that Windows is also not a stable platform.  I just
        don't want to waste time dealing with other software issues because of
        the change and how it will affect me doing Family History.

        Thanks.  Any comments would be appreciated.

        Wendy

        Mary Arthur

        Undocumented Genealogy is Mythology