Celtic SIG

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 80 , Feb 18, 2006
      the original sender

      The next meeting of the Celtic SIG is this Wed. Feb. 22 at 7 PM at the
      AFHS library. We meet no matter how cold it gets. The official topic
      is Death. I can't find my box of Celtic SIG stuff so I cannot give any
      more details. As I recall we may be hearing about Scottish lairs as
      well both general and specific material about:
      war, pestilence and famine,
      old medical terms,
      cemeteries we have known,
      cemetery transcriptions we have found,
      favourite gravestones,
      obituaries versus death notices,
      infanticide,
      murder,
      coffin ships,
      burial customs,
      funeral homes,
      heroism and villainy,
      cholera pandemics,
      remembering the dead,
      death registrations,
      common causes of death now defeated by medical advances (TB, diphtheria,
      pneumonia, polio, malaria, small pox, step, typhoid), or renamed
      dirges,
      martyrdom,
      fates worse than death,
      limestone gravestones melting in acid rain,
      taking rubbings of gravestones,
      memorial brasses
      wills, intestacies and probate
      corporal and incorporeal heriditaments
      leases for lives in being
      hereditary diseases
      inheritance of real estate versus inheritance of personal estate
      orphans and orphanages
      dower and widow's portion
      relicts
      the other kind of relicts
      finding wills
      reading wills
      understanding wills
      what's going to happen to our research when we die? and/or
      rescuing "that old useless stuff nobody would want" when a relative dies
      or moves to smaller accommodations

    • Lois Sparling
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 22, 2012
        The next meeting of the Celtic SIG will be on Saturday Jan 28 at 10:00
        AM at the AFHS library. We will be discussing best approaches to
        Scottish family history research.

        Lois