Re: location, Earl of Egmont's house

  • John B. Doyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
      Hi All,

      Your land description SW26-22-3W5 is for the old homestead prior to the Earl's succession to the title.  This property is on the north side of 22X 1 mile west of its junction with highway 22.

      His property on Macleod Trail is now the location of the Willow Park Shopping Centre and Willow Park community, the legal description should be NW22-23-1W5.  The farm was on the east side of Macleod Tr. at the bottom of the hill across from Renfrew Chrysler.  You might try the AFHS library's collection of Henderson Directories for more info.  I have an article from the August 1950 issue of THE COMINCO MAGAZINE  about the neighbours of the Ammonia Plant which includes pictures of the earl his children the house and gate posts.

      The earl's new Ranch complete with new earl is SW4-16-29W4, 10 miles west of Nanton on highway 533, the road to Chain Lakes Prov. park.   The highway runs right through the farm site.  This ranch was once known as the MINTO after the Earl of Minto, Canada's GG 1898-1904.

      John Doyle, born on the MINTO.