Re: FAMILY HISTORY - FATHER LACOMBE

  • Joyce Metcalfe
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
      The Metisgen-L Archives at RoostWeb have quite a substantial thread discussing the alleged Ojibway heritage of Father Lacome.  Summarized the thread indicates that Father Albert Lacombe's parents were Albert Lacombe and Agathe Duhamel.  One message indicates that it Agathe's mother was Ojibway while another indicates that they have found no Ojibway connections evident in the Duhamel lineage (unless it appeared further back that they had traced).  That person (Eileen Horan) listed Agathe's parents as:  Joseph Duhamel (dit Sansfacon) and Agathe Mazuret.  She listed Joseph Duhamels parents as Pierre Duhamel (dit Sansfacon) and Louise BEAUPRE and Agathe Mazuret's parents as Andre Mazuret (dit LaPierre) and Agathe Fagnant.  Fran Wilcox responded in the thread that is was Marie-Louise BEAUPRE who had been kidnapped by the Ojibway and later rescued by her uncle.  The complete thread can be read on the RoosWeb.com Archives ! website at:

      This thread was active fairly recently (June 2005), so it is quite likely that the email addresses of the participants are still active.

      Probably the best source for "primary" information on Father Lacome's background would be the Catholic Church - Probably the parish at Saint-Sulpice (where he was born) or the parish of Ste-Hyacinthe (where he was ordained).  The church up a St. Albert (where he is buried) might also be a good source.

      All the best,
      Joyce

      "E.Rodier" <cerear@...> wrote:
      Please note that your reply will now! only go to
      the original sender

      Found Father Lacombe in the 1906 census, District 18, Subdistrict #8, page
      18, Row 23. Listed as Sancombe, Father in the AFHS index, post office
      Pincher Creek.

      Requested link to his name in 1901 census. He is already linked to 1911 (at
      Midnapore) and Dictionary of Canadian Biography. I don't have any additional
      information to help with his family history. -- Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
        Hi Bill,

        Most people who claim Father Lacombe had native ancestry quote from the following biography:

        "Father Lacombe, The Black-Robe Voyageur"
        by Katherine Hughes, published by Moffat, Yard and Company, New York 1911

        Lacombe felt a special sense of kinship with the Indians and Métis People, who inhabited these lands. Three generations before, Marie-Louise Beaupre,his great grandmother had been kidnapped by Ojibway Indians. For five years her family mourned her loss, presuming her dead.

        By an incredible stroke of good fortune, an Uncle - a trader - who was travelling in the Sault Ste Marie area and stopped at an Ojibway camp to trade, discovered Marie-Louise with two small children in their midst. She and her infants, fathered by an Ojibway brave were secreted away during the night and returned to her joyous family.

        She later married Pierre Duhamel, who raised the children as his own. One
        of them was to become Albert's grandmother and it was this trace of native-blood which earned him at an early age the nickname "mon petit sauvage".

        (This is a discrepancy, since below the author claims they were two sons, so one of the two children could not have been a grandmother. Perhaps the intent was to say one of them was the father of Albert's mother, since it was a son of Marie Louise Beaupre's (Joseph Duhamel Dit Sansfaçon) who was the father of Albert's mother Agathe Duhamel.

        ... another passage...

        The kindly old curé grew attached to the boy. "Mon petit sauvage" (my
        little Indian), he used to call him - not only because his skin and eyes
        were flashing dark, but because his mother, Agathe Duhamel dite Sans-Facon,
        was the descendant of that Duhamel maiden carried away into captivity over a
        hundred years earlier by an Ojibway chief. The French girl bore him two sons
        before her voyageur uncle stole her and the boys from a camp at Sault Ste.
        Marie, and restored her to the Duhamels of Saint Sulpice. One of these boys
        was an ancestor of Madame Lacombe."
        The problem with this theory is the father of Agathe and the son of Louise Beaupre, Joseph Duhamel, Dit Sansfaçon, is listed as born and baptised May 12, 1773. This was several years after Louise Beaupre had married Pierre Duhamel, Dit Sansfaçon. They married February 23, 1767 in St-Sulpice. So if this was one of the Métis sons of Louise raised by Pierre Duhamel, he should have been born before 1767. Joseph, listed as son of Pierre Duhamel and Louise Beaupre, married Agathe, daughter of Andre Mazuret, Dit Lapierre, and Agathe Fagnan (aka Fagnant), on February 22, 1802 in St-Sulpice.

        If your contact wishes to touch base with me, please give him or her my contact details below:

        Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Scrapbooking & preservation techniques

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
          the original sender

          Hello Elizabeth

          A very quick check of the AGS 1901 census index at:

          www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/1901census/

          Shows:

          LACOMBE, Rev Father head Age: 74 Born: 1827 Birth Place: Quebec
          District: 202 Sub-District: MacLeod Sub-District #: v(2)-2
          Map Ref: G-11 Film Number: T-6551 Page: 1 Line: 1

          Ian Holmes