CALGARY and DISTRICT HERITAGE FAIR

  • william campbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2006

      Hi Folks:

      As many will recall our AFHS has participated in the Heritage Fair for the past two years.
      It is one way of attracting young people, their parents and their teachers to the wonderful world of family history.

      The Calgary and District Heritage Fair provides a forum for young people in Grades 4 to 9 to learn about their Canadian heritage. Students choose a subject, do research and present a display or program at the Heritage Fair. Over 300 students from Calgary and district schools participated in last year’s Fair.

                  Originated and supported in part by the Historica Foundation, heritage fairs take place in cities and communities all over Canada on the same day. Museums Alberta and the ATA Social Studies Council have organized the program for ten years. This year the Calgary and District Fair will once again be held at City Hall on Saturday, May 6th, 2006, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m..

      This year, again, Kay Clarke is our representative on their planning committee.

      We are looking for help-

          - We are considering, this year, offering a topic for competition among the students, with a prize/award going to the best display. If you are inspired to suggest a title for a suitable topic I would like to hear from you.
          - We are also looking for a donor of a suitable award. In th past we have provided books and genealogy
             software. If you have access to a worthwhile item that would challenge the students please let me
             know by email or phone (254-2293).

      Cheers

      BILL

    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13 9:03 PM
        Hi Folks:

        For the third year the AFHS is pleased to be asked to participate in the annual Heritage Fair.

                    The Calgary and District Heritage Fair provides a forum for young people in Grades 4 to 9 to learn about their Canadian heritage. Students choose a subject, do research and present a display or program at the Fair. Over 300 students from Calgary and district schools participated in last year’s Fair.

                    Originated and supported in part by the Historica Foundation, heritage fairs take place in cities and communities all across Canada on the same day. Museums Alberta and the ATA Social Studies Council have organized the program for ten years. This year the Calgary and District Fair will once again be held at City Hall on Saturday, May 6th, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m..

                      Members are being asked again to support this rewarding community endeavor, in two ways-
        • Act as a judge of the displays presented by the students - only a three-hour      commitment.
        • Provide an award/prize (a book, a CD or any appropriate item related to history or family history) for a student who prepares an exemplary piece of work.
                     Once again, Kay Clarke is our representative on the Fair planning committee. If you would like to participate in either of these ways please contact her at 279-1036 or clarkegk@...

        Bill Campbell
        AFHS Public Relations

        --