Transient workers

  • Bev May
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2006
      Hello all
      Does anyone know how the census taken in 1891, 1901, 1906, 1911 handled workers who may have been involved in railroad construction or other projects where men were likely to be employed and living away from their families? My grandfather was in Manitoba in 1895 and I believe he may have been there as early as 1885 working on railroad construction. I have searched some of the 1891 census for Manitoba but have not located him thus far.
      Your help/comments are appreciated.
      Bev. May

    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2006
        the original sender

        Men working on construction crews are usually found in boarding houses and
        very hard to identify if some of the details are omitted or handwriting
        unclear.

        Is the 1891 Manitoba census on the Internet or are you checking microfilms?
        I'm working mostly on 1911 census images for Calgary but have some names
        from Manitoba around 1891 if there is an index. -- Elizabeth