US Social Security Info

  • Peter and Yvonne Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2006
      Need some help.  I have searched the internet and have found some info, it happens to be from the US Social Security data, it lists the person's date of birth and death.

      Now what do I do with this info?

      What I mean, now that I have this info (i.e. DOB and DOD and residence at death), how can I parlay that info into finding more about the family.

      The problem I foresee is that it is too current.  DOD is 1976 and DOB is 1895 so most census info may not be helpful.

      What I would like to be able to find is the names of his parents and if he was married.  I could then see how he fits into the data I already have in my tree.

      Any suggestions?  I must admit I am a bit brain numb after the Christmas holidays.

      Thanks

      Peter

      *****************************
      Peter and Yvonne Adams
      Calgary, Ab
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2006
        Go to http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ssdi/search_ssdi.asp&clear_form=true to find out more about the U.S. Social Security Death Index

        Under: For More Information Visit Social Security Online, it says:

        You can obtain a copy of the actual application form of a deceased person from the Social Security Administration. The application form includes the person's name, date and place of birth, and parents' names that were given when he or she applied for the Social Security number. For more information, go to Social Security Online.

        You may also use the death date and place given on the U.S. SS to obtain a death record from the state in which he died.

        If the person had a U.S. SS but died elsewhere, e.g. Canada, the information will still be found in the U.S. SS.

        e.g. Romeo Lalonde was born and died in Canada but since he worked in the U.S. and had a U.S. Social Security Number, he is listed in the U.S. SS.

        Romeo LALONDE
          Birth Date:5 Mar 1905
          Death Date:Mar 1980
          Social Security Number: 375-50-0408
          State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Michigan

          Actual Death Residence: Canada

         Death Residence Localities
          ZIP Code:XX953
          Localities:

         Death Benefit Localities
          Zip Code: XX953

        Localities:

        à bientôt,

        http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Scrapbooking & preservation techniques
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564