Celtic SIG

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 80 , Jan 8, 2006
      the original sender

      Just a reminder that the January meeting will be on Wed. Jan 25 at 7 PM
      at the AFHS library. The topic is How the Scots Invented the Modern
      World and Everything In It. This is a book by Arthur Herman. While we
      do not want to discourage anyone who just wants to come and listen, our
      presenter, Donna Kirkwood, is hoping this will be a book study which
      means some of us should have read the book in advance. There should be
      copies available in the public library. Chapters and other vendors
      would be happy to sell you a copy, as well.

      The topic for our Feb. 14 meeting is Death and all the death related
      activities and implications which relate to our genealogical and family
      history research. This is a good opportunity for those who would like
      to participate but are reluctant to take on a major presentation or to
      put themselves forward as an expert:

      one or more causes of death and the archaic medical terminology therefore,
      coffin ships,
      epidemics locally or world-wide,
      cemeteries we have explored,
      funeral practises,
      gravestone transcriptions and where to find them,
      life expectancy issues,
      orphans,
      widows,
      rapid remarriage in the days of strict division of labour between the
      sexes,
      obituaries vs death notices,
      death registrations and how to access them,
      buried in woollen,
      holographic wills
      fees entail
      murder most foul
      starvation and exposure following eviction
      etc.

      The topic for March 22 is How the Irish Saved Civilization. This is
      also the title of a very good book but it deals with the 1st
      millennium. As we enter the 3rd millennium, perhaps it covers a period
      somewhat too early to be of practical use in our family history
      research. Anyway, the topic is Ireland and what the Irish and the Irish
      diaspora has accomplished. I am suggesting that we have this meeting at
      Joyce on 4th. This is an Irish pub/restaurant with live music some
      nights at 9 PM.

      March 26 the topic is The Military.

      May 24 the topic is Research Trip(s).

      Lois Sparling

    • Lois Sparling
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 22, 2012
        The next meeting of the Celtic SIG will be on Saturday Jan 28 at 10:00
        AM at the AFHS library. We will be discussing best approaches to
        Scottish family history research.

        Lois