Census - England

  • Peter and Yvonne Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
      Hi,

      Is there a census earlier than 1881 for England?

      I am searching for the parents of David Johns, b 1837 in Usborne Twp, Huron Cty, Ontario.  There are a couple of possibilities.  I found the 1842 Assessment List for Usborne Twp which had a couple of Johns listed.  The history of Usborne implies that most people came from England, Devon area, as a result of on immigrant who really like the area and convinced a number of his old country neighbours to come to the new frontiers.

      So I am hoping to find a link there but so far can only find this 1881 census.  I would need to find one much earlier as my link was already in Canada by the 1840's.

      Any suggestions?

      Peter

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006

        takes you to the 1841 census but is a subscription service

        ancestry.co.uk has over 1000 Johns in Devon in the 1851 census alone

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Chairman
        Alberta Family Histories Society
        712-16th Ave NW,
        Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

        chairman@...
        www.afhs.ab.ca
        (403)214-1447

        Is there a census earlier than 1881 for England?

        I am searching for the parents of David Johns, b 1837 in Usborne Twp, Huron Cty, Ontario.  There are a couple of possibilities.  I found the 1842 Assessment List for Usborne Twp which had a couple of Johns listed.  The history of Usborne implies that most people came from England, Devon area, as a result of on immigrant who really like the area and convinced a number of his old country neighbours to come to the new frontiers.

        So I am hoping to find a link there but so far can only find this 1881 census.  I would need to find one much earlier as my link was already in Canada by the 1840's.

        Any suggestions?

        Peter

        Peter Adams
        Calgary, Ab