Re: Didsbury History?

  • John & Peg Rowland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hi Kelly
              Didsbury, Alberta, is my home town. The local newspaper is "The Didsbury Review". The postal code for the whole town is T0W 0W0. You can write them and ask about any official history.
              I understand that the name came from a suburb of the city of Manchester, England. This is a mystery in itself as the district was settled by German Mennonites from Waterloo County, Ontario, in 1892, some years before the town was incorporated in 1901.
              It is possible that the Canadian Pacific Railway named the town. The C.P.R. staked out settlements approximately 10 miles apart along the Calgary - Edmonton line as townsites.
              Happy Hunting, Peg