Re: Didsbury History?

  • Caren Secord
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hello -

      I don't have any information on the history of Didsbury, but I do have Harry Sanders' book called The Story Behind Alberta Names.  He says that Didsbury was named for "the onetime township of Didsbury, now a suburb of Manchester, England".  He also says that Didsbury was established in 1892 as a stop along the Calgary and Edmonton Railway.  "Its first settlers were a group of Mennonites who came from Berlin, Ontario, in 1894."  They were of German origin, and came from Pennsylvania as Loyalists.  Apparently Didsbury's streets originally had German names but around the time of World War I, they were changed to English names.  He doesn't say who chose the name Didsbury, unfortunately.

      Caren
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
        Hi Kelly
                Didsbury, Alberta, is my home town. The local newspaper is "The Didsbury Review". The postal code for the whole town is T0W 0W0. You can write them and ask about any official history.
                I understand that the name came from a suburb of the city of Manchester, England. This is a mystery in itself as the district was settled by German Mennonites from Waterloo County, Ontario, in 1892, some years before the town was incorporated in 1901.
                It is possible that the Canadian Pacific Railway named the town. The C.P.R. staked out settlements approximately 10 miles apart along the Calgary - Edmonton line as townsites.
                Happy Hunting, Peg