Broadband Internet Connection Speed

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
      At the computer SIG meeting yesterday it was mentioned that a good Christmas gift would be an upgrade from dial-up to a DSL or cable connection, or an upgrade from a "lite" to a regular or enhanced broadband connection. A discussion about connection speeds followed. I mentioned that Telus used to have a link to a site for testing your connection speed, to see if you were getting the bandwidth you were paying for. I could not find that listing on the current Telus pages, but here is one that provides similar tests:

      http://www2.dslreports.com/stest

      Also a website that I gave at our November meeting has speed tests, among many others. See:

      http://www.pcpitstop.com/

      Seasons Greetings,

      Charlie
    • The Gauthiers
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
        You can also try "Numion" (http://www.numion.com/).
        It's also very good.

        Regards;
        Gary

        Charlie Hansen wrote:
        At the computer SIG meeting yesterday it was mentioned that a good Christmas gift would be an upgrade from dial-up to a DSL or cable connection, or an upgrade from a "lite" to a regular or enhanced broadband connection. A discussion about connection speeds followed. I mentioned that Telus used to have a link to a site for testing your connection speed, to see if you were getting the bandwidth you were paying for. I could not find that listing on the current Telus pages, but here is one that provides similar tests:

        Also a website that I gave at our November meeting has speed tests, among many others. See:

        Seasons Greetings,

        Charlie
      • Mary Arthur
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
          So, here are my results on Shaw Lite in Mount Royal:

          6:50 MST I'll post on Telus DSL tomorrow, anyone running Shaw high speed?

          112.9 kilobits per second

          Communications 112.9 kilobits per second
          Storage 13.8 kilobytes per second
          1MB file download 1.2 minutes
          Subjective rating Mediocre

          Info

          Date & time Sunday, December 11, 7:50PM*
          Test type IDT4 Free
          Connection type Cable
          Region Alberta
          Data size 1024KB

          On 11-Dec-05, at 16:22, Charlie Hansen wrote:

          At the computer SIG meeting yesterday it was mentioned that a good Christmas gift would be an upgrade from dial-up to a DSL or cable connection, or an upgrade from a "lite" to a regular or enhanced broadband connection. A discussion about connection speeds followed. I mentioned that Telus used to have a link to a site for testing your connection speed, to see if you were getting the bandwidth you were paying for. I could not find that listing on the current Telus pages, but here is one that provides similar tests:

          Also a website that I gave at our November meeting has speed tests, among many others. See:

          Seasons Greetings,

          Charlie

          CHECK SIGNATURE

          Mary Arthur
          Director (Computer Sig)
          Alberta Family Histories Society

        • The Gauthiers
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
            The following is from Shaw Cable Lite in the Sandalwood area of Calgary (Time as indicated).
            Figures generated using the speed metering capabilities at "NUMION".

            Explanation
            The measurement determines the average speed with which you can surf the internet. Sit back and think about it some. You will probably be able to download big files from local servers a lot faster, but for surfing purposes your average speed is 12779 bytes per second (Bps), or 102 kilobits per second (kbps). The two numbers are the same but are expressed in a different base (125 bytes are 1 kilobit). Higher numbers are better.

            1. The speedbar
            The speedbar shows your speed at a glance. The numbers above the speedbar are in kilobits per second, and the numbers below the speedbar are in bytes per second. There are 4 versions of the speedbar, the system automatically selects the speedbar on which your speed will fit the best.

            2. Your speed in numbers
            Your speed is also presented in numbers, both in bytes per second and kilobits per second. They are the same but expressed in a different base (125 bytes is 1 kilobit).

            3. Your last 25 measurements
            This graph shows the last 25 measurements you've done for the country you selected when starting the measurement. The rightmost line in the graph is your current measurement, the leftmost line is the oldest measurement. The graph will contain just a single measurement if you have used YourSpeed for the first time, have never performed a measurement for this
            particular country before, have cleared your cookies, or are using a new or different browser.

            The scale at the left of the graph is bytes per second, the scale at the right of the graph is bits per second. Both scales are logarithmic and will automatically adjust to fit your measurements. The values in the graph are stored in cookies on your computer. The graph will remain empty if your browser does not support cookies, you have turned off cookies, or you are behind a firewall that does not pass cookies.

            4. The worldwide speed of the internet
            This graph compares your speed to the speed of other people. Vertical scale on the left is in bytes per second, vertical scale on the right is in bits per second, horizontal scale is the last 8 days by hour. The vertical scale is logarithmic and will automatically adjust to fit the graph. Times and dates are for Amsterdam, The Netherlands (GMT +01:00). You can find many more graphs at: Statistics

            All the measurements
            From anywhere in the world to the set of worldwide websites The horizontal white line indicates your speed. Only your last measurement is shown, not your last 25 measurements.

            Regards;
            Gary