1911 Sarcee, Midnapore & SW of Calgary

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2005
      the original sender

      Added three sub-districts to my collection of guessed names in the 1911
      census for Calgary south of the Bow River. The Midnapore area starts with
      Lacombe Home and Father Lacombe is listed on page 2.

      SW of Midnapore is in the Macleod District. My Excel files are searchable by
      guessed names and sometimes house numbers for Calgary. Just looked up the
      1911 address on 17th Avenue for a friend's family in the 1974 Calgary
      Directory. Their home was replaced by a service station and probably a more
      recent building since 1974.

      Used AFHS template with farm locations added (if readable.) It is
      interesting to select a Calgary district in the online road map and then
      look in the Western Lands Database to see who farmed there years earlier.

      The census takers missed a few people in June 1911, perhaps away for a
      vacation or on the move between homes. Calgary grew from around 4000
      population in 1901 to over 40,000 population in 1911 according to Harry
      Sanders' Historic Walks of Calgary pg 15. -- Elizabeth