Computer SIG -- More on Computer Security

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2005
      the original sender

      Last month during my presentation to the SIG, I emphasized
      "BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP" for saving your genealogical and
      other data.

      I have recently found a good on-line discussion on backing up the
      data and programs on your PC. It is four pages and the last page
      has some links to free and to commercial backup software.

      It is on the PCMechanic website and can be found at:

      http://www.pcmech.com/show/internal/855/1/

      Disclaimer: I have not used any of the backup programs listed so
      cannot personally recommend or comment on them.

      I use a DOS based free program to clone my C:\ drive to a
      partition/folder on a separate hard drive. It will also perform
      incremental backups only copying changed files once you have
      made the first complete cloning. However, unless you are
      comfortable with DOS, you may find this too complex. (Note: I also
      backup my various data folders separately to a different hard drive
      and to CDs)

      The DOS program is called "XXCopy" and you can find it at:

      http://www.xxcopy.com

      Instructions on cloning a drive can be found at:

      http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy10.htm

      If anyone is interested in more help on using this program, please
      e-mail me.

      Season's Greetings,

      Charlie