Christmas 'presents': free words

  • Mary Arthur
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2005
      Large junks of the  newsletter were removed. Some weeks it is more interesting to me than others, but I almost always learn something.

      Begin forwarded message:

      WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 471        Saturday 10 December 2005
      Sent each Saturday to at least 25,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
      Editor: Michael Quinion, Thornbury, Bristol, UK      ISSN 1470-1448
      http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx
           A formatted version of this newsletter is online at

      3. Weird Words: Lorinery
      The craft of making various metal parts of a horse's harness.

      Lorinery is rare enough that there's no entry for it in the Oxford
      English Dictionary; it seems to be relatively recent and not at all
      common in print, though it is found quite a lot online. The oldest
      example I know (for which many thanks to the staff of the Oxford
      English Dictionary) is from the Times in 1923. Lorinery is carried
      out by loriners; the Worshipful Company of Loriners, one of the
      livery companies of the City of London, says: "A loriner makes and
      sells bits, bridles, spurs, stirrups and the minor metal items of a
      horse's harness, together with the saddle tree." There aren't any
      loriners in the City of London nowadays, the centre of the British
      craft being in Walsall, which is perhaps why the Company no longer
      has a London headquarters (a "hall", in the jargon). Samuel Pepys
      noted in his diary for 14 May 1668: "Thence with Lord Brouncker to
      Loriners'-hall, by Mooregate, a hall I never heard of before." (He
      wasn't alone, it transpires: though "loriner" and the Worshipful
      Company are both medieval in date, this is the first reference to
      their hall anywhere.) The older form of the word is "lorimer", the
      source of the family name; both derive from the Old French word
      "lorenier", which is from Latin "lorum", a strap or bridle.

      A. E-mail contact addresses
      If you want to respond to something in a newsletter, ask a question
      for the Q&A section, or otherwise contact Michael Quinion, please
      send it to one of the following addresses:

      * Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome. They should
        be sent to wordseditor@...

      * Questions intended to be answered in the Q&A section should be
        addressed to wordsquestions@... (please don't
        use this to respond to published answers to questions - e-mail
        the comment address instead)

      * Problems with subscriptions that cannot be handled by the list
        server should be addressed to wordssubs@...

      Please do not send attachments with messages.

      B. Subscription information
      To leave the list, change your subscription address, or subscribe,

      You can also maintain your subscription by e-mail. For a full list
      of commands, send a message containing the following two lines to

      The "END" ensures that the list server doesn't get confused by your
      signature or other text added to the outgoing message.

      This newsletter is also available as an RSS feed. The address is

      Recent back issues are archived at

      C. Ways to support World Wide Words
      The World Wide Words newsletter and Web site are free, but if you
      would like to help with their costs, here are some ways to do so.

      If you order any goods from any of these online stores (not just
      new books), you can use one of these links, which gets World Wide
      Words a small commission at no extra cost to you:

         Amazon USA:         http://quinion.com?QA
         Amazon UK:          http://quinion.com?JZ
         Amazon Canada:      http://quinion.com?MG
         Amazon Germany:     http://quinion.com?DX

      If you would like to contribute a sum to the upkeep of World Wide
      Words through PayPal, enter this link into your browser:

      You could also buy one of my books, of course. See

      World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2005.  All rights
      reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
      You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part in free online
      newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists provided that you include
      this note and the copyright notice above. Reproduction in printed
      publications or on Web sites requires prior permission, for which
      you should contact wordseditor@... .