Re: Immigration Records

  • Alan Muise-Benner
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
      Please note that your reply will now only go to the original sender Joanne,

      At the Calgary Public Library branch downtown (W. R. Castell), there are microfilm records of ship passenger manifests, from such ports as Quebec, St. John, Halifax, etc. Unless you happen to luck into a group who has extracted and indexed a particular ethnic, cultural, religious, or otherwise group, it will be a tedious and time consuming search of the film records. If you have any opportunity of narrowing down the time frame, or have a ship name, that may cut down the time required to search the films for the manifest you require. I haven't been there for awhile, but as I recall, all the films were on the 4th floor [you may speak with one of the librarians at the desk near the Local History area on the north side]. There were 2 film readers there, but often were busy. There are additional film readers in the basement area, and it was just a matter of asking to take them down there, should the need arise. Happy Hunting!

      Al

      Joanne wrote:

      Hi All, Would anyone know where I could find records relating to immigration about 1912/13. My great-grandparents (John and Annie McCool) came from Scotland to Calgary with their family. I assume they still come by ships at that time. All the passenger lists I have found are back in the 1800's, but nothing from this time period. Any suggestions? Joanne Elford

      http://www.afhs.ab.cahttp://www.family-roots.ca
    • The Gauthiers
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2005
        Please note that your reply will now only go to the original sender Joanne;

        In the time-frame you note, many came in via Ellis Island and then to Winnipeg via train.From there train to Calgary would have been normal. My grandfather came via this route. The Ellis Island records are online. Just requires a free registration. Give it a try.

        1) Go to "http://www.ellisisland.org/" and clickon the Sign-In button. It calls up a secure screen, so you can register.
            Go to the more simple interface to their database at  "http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html"

        You might also try looking for St. Alban's records. They are border records for persons coming in from the states. Can't tell you much about where to get access though.

        Be aware that the Calgary Library has the Form 20's for persons arriving in Canada through Canadian ports. You may have to look there as well. As time went on, immigration direct to Canada became more common as the Canadian ports started to become open year-round.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards;
        Gary

        Regards;
        Gary

        Joanne wrote:
        Hi All,

        Would anyone know where I could find records relating to immigration about 1912/13. My great-grandparents (John and Annie McCool) came from Scotland to Calgary with their family. I assume they still come by ships at that time. All the passenger lists I have found are back in the 1800's, but nothing from this time period.

        Any suggestions?

        Joanne Elford
        http://www.afhs.ab.cahttp://www.family-roots.ca
      • Joyce Metcalfe
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
          Hi Joanne,

          The "Ships Passenger Lists for Canada 1900-1922, 1925-1935" exist on many hundreds of reels of microfilm available through the National Archives of Canada (original filmer of the microfilms).  They are also available through the LDS Library Catalogue system and through numerous libraries and other archival institutions who have also purchased the films (Lethbridge).

          The NAC Record Group Number is RG76-C-1 and if you go to their website (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/) and do a search in their catalogue (Archianet), you can locate their archival description of these records (i.e. the times periods and ports of entry covered by the entire record group).  In general though, this is not sufficient information to order individual microfilms from the NAC.

          The LDS Library Catalogue (accessible through their webs! ite - http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp) gives an excellent, film by film index for the Port of of Entry (ie. Quebec, Montreal, Halifax, St. John, or Sydney) and the dates covered by each year.

          TIP:  I often use the NAC Archival search to locate possible groups of records and then check at the LDS catalogue to see if the church has copies of those films.  If they have, their catalogue generally gives a more (film by film) description of the information.

          For 1912/1913 for the ports of Quebec and Montreal only the LDS film numbers go from 2308024 to 230848 (24 individual reels of microfilm).  The LDS catalogue also gives the National Archives of Canada Reel numbers (T-4783 to T-4807), which can be used to ILL the microfilms into a public library, as an alternative means to accessing them.!

          For Halifax, the numbers go from 2308087 to 2308093 (T-4744 to T-4751).

          For St. John, 2308119 to 2308123 (T-4825 to T-4829)

          N. Sydney, 2308132 to 2308136 (T-4838 to T-4842)

          New York (with ultimate Canadian destinations), 2308184 to 2308194 (T-4705 to T-4717)

          Other Eastern US Ports (with ultimate Canadian destinations), 2308214 to 2308218 (T-4691 to T-4695)

          As you can see, without any other information to narrow down your search, you may be spending a great deal of time hunting through microfilms to find your family.  I suspect that some "name indexes" have been compiled, but I don't know specifics on what ports and time periods have been covered.

          If you don't have any other information from within your family's records or folklore - I would check at Anc! estry.com to see what they have covered so far on their CDs or start hunting for some "name indexes" before I started accessing individual microfilms.

          Hope this helps and all the best,
          Joyce

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
            Hi Everyone - I'm having a difficult time typing today.  This version corrects a few typos in my posting

            Joyce Metcalfe <roots938@...> wrote:
            Hi Joanne,

            The "Ships Passenger Lists for Canada 1900-1922, 1925-1935" exist on many hundreds of reels of microfilm available through the National Archives of Canada (original filmer of the microfilms).  They are also available through the LDS Library Catalogue system and through numerous libraries and other archival institutions who have also purchased the films (e.g. Lethbridge).

            The NAC Record Group Number is RG76-C-1 and if you go to the NAC website (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/) and do a search in their catalogue (ARCHIVIANET), you can locate their! archival description of these records (i.e. the times periods and ports of entry covered by the entire record group).  In general though, the information in Archivianet is is not sufficient information to order individual microfilms from the NAC.

            The LDS Library Catalogue (accessible through their website - http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp) gives an excellent, film by film index for the Port of of Entry (ie. Quebec, Montreal, Halifax, St. John, or Sydney) and the dates covered by each FILM.

            TIP:  I often use the NAC Archival search to locate possible groups of records and then check the LDS catalogue to see if the Church has copies of those films.  If they have (and they often do), their catalogue generally gives a more (film by film) description of the information.

            http://mail.yahoo.com