Re: Computer Security - Nov 12 Computer SIG Talk

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2005
      Further to Charlie's talk on Saturday, which I missed unfortunately. I
      would like to relate a little problem that I was called on to fix Tuesday.
      My golf buddy called to tell me he had received a message from Telus
      telling him he was abusing the user agreement by transmitting spam.
      I checked his computer, which is running Win XP. The OS is fully
      updated, he has the latest version of Zone alarm, and as of Tuesday, the
      latest version of AVG antivirus which was set to update at startup as
      well as daily.
      I found AVG disabled. Zone Alarm appeared OK and an on-line test stated
      it was OK. It wasn't. What had happened was an new version of an old
      worm had snuck in by way of an e-mail message from Korea. The culprit is
      I-Worm Bagle.HZ. This worm is designed to knock out your antivirus
      program and firewall. It also modifies a number of other files. It
      then transmits its little message to the e-mail address list.
      My first attempt to set things right was to simply restore to an earlier
      date. It worked once. Further attempts failed. The virus was knocking
      out the restore points. I had to manually remove the AVG and Zone Alarm
      files as the uninstall executables would not work and the programs
      would not load over the top of the old files. Once AVG was reloaded on
      Thursday I updated the program and did a complete scan. I found 233
      viruses scattered throughout the XP OS drive. There were also 90
      damaged files that AVG was able to restore. Many of these virus files
      were found in the restore files.
      Fun and games. <G>

      Cheers

      Bill