FW: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER Vol. 2, #6 - 19 October 2005

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2005
      the original sender

      FYI

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Malcolm Moody [mailto:malcolmm@...]
      Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 4:18 PM
      To: chairman@...
      Subject: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER Vol. 2, #6 - 19 October 2005

      Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER V2#7 - 17 November 2005

      Contents:
      1 WELCOME
      2 WHAT'S IN THE NEWSLETTER
      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES (2)
      4 COMING SOON
      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS
      Census of England and Wales (10 )
      British Books (3 )
      6 NEWS & GOSSIP
      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS
      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS

      1 WELCOME:
      Welcome to the Archive CD Books Canada newsletter.

      This newsletter will be published whenever we have enough information to
      make it worth your while reading, but that usually means there will be about
      one a month.

      Remember this Newsletter is published for you so if you think we're missing
      something important drop me a line to Malcolm@....

      Newsletters work best when they get a good circulation. We're doing our
      best to let people know about it but you could help us along by mentioning
      it to your genealogy buddies and generally spreading the word.

      We are in the process of changing how we handle the administration of these
      newsletters. You will continue to receive your newsletter without
      interruption but please note the changes in the administration procedures in
      the NEWS & GOSSIP section below.

      2 WHAT'S IN THE NEWSLETTER:
      A total of 15 new title releases in this newsletter.
      New releases from Archive CD Books Canada.
      New British Census releases
      New British Books on CD
      News, Gossip, and more.

      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES:
      To find a book on our web site http://www.archivecdbooks.ca take a note of
      the catalogue number - or use the "copy" function - go to the web site,
      click on the "Search Page" link and enter, or "paste," the number into the
      "Product Number" box. Hit "Search" and then "More" and you will be in a
      position to reread the description or to place your order.
      There is frequently more information about the books available on the web
      site. All prices in $Cdn.

      We frequently shorten a book's description for this newsletter. Check our
      website catalogue for the full description.

      * Report of the Ottawa and Hull Fire Relief Fund
      CA0188: $19.00
      While preparing the midday meal in their wooden house in a crowded section
      of the city of Hull, a woman noticed that a faulty chimney had set the roof
      on fire. The family couldn't control the fire and by the time the fire
      brigade had arrived the fire had already spread to the adjacent shanties and
      was soon out of control. From this small beginning started a fire which
      destroyed large sections of both Hull and Ottawa during the 26 and 27 April
      1900.
      Despite making 15,000 people homeless and destroying the major part of the
      industry in both cities the miracle was that only 7 people were killed. A
      photographer, R. J. Robillard had the presence of mind to find a vantage
      point to make a photographic record and the book contains the resulting,
      half meter long, panorama of the fire burning on both sides of the river.
      Quite aside from the compelling record of the fire this book provides, it
      also contains a fold out map of the cities of Ottawa and Hull showing the
      names and locations of the streets in the city at that time. At first
      glance this looks like any modern map of the city but a second look shows
      hundreds of different road names, road layouts not to mention showing the
      1900 limits of the city's building. Shading on the map indicates the area
      destroyed by the fire.
      Published in the following year this book is a complete record of the Fire
      Relief Fund and includes summaries of the cost of the fire, the relief
      provided and even a list of the buildings, houses and industrial, rebuilt in
      an astonishing period of less than eight months.
      Fully text searchable. There is a sampler available on the web site.
      We are indebted to the Historical Society of Ottawa for kindly loaning us
      this wonderful book so we could reproduce it for you on CD. Please join
      with us to thank them for their public spirited generosity in allowing us to
      make this valuable book more accessible. Another successful Archive CD
      Books Canada cooperative project. Also thanks to the Bytown museum who
      house and maintain the Society's book collection,
      for their cooperation. [Description truncated - see catalogue for
      full text.]

      * Ottawa & Kingston City Directory - 1875
      CA0190: $35.00
      Far more than just the cities of Ottawa and Kingston, this directory covers
      most of the (in 1875) significant communities in Ontario lying North and
      East of Kingston, i.e.,:
      Almonte, Arnprior, Barriefield,
      Brockville, Bryson, Carleton Place, Cornwall, Edwardsburg (now Cardinal?),
      Gananoque, Garden Island (Nr. Wolf Isl.), Iroquois, Kemptville, Kingston,
      Landsdowne (now Lansdowne), Lyn, Mallorytown, Merrickville, Morrisburg, New
      Edinburgh (now part of Ottawa), Ottawa, Pakenham, Pembroke, Perth,
      Portsmouth (now part of Kingston), Prescott, Renfrew, Richmond,
      Rochesterville (was part of Nepean Township), Sand Point, Smith's Falls,
      Westport, & Wolf Island, as well as the Quebec communities lying along the
      North shore of the Ottawa river i.e.,:
      Aylmer, Buckingham, Gatineau Point, Hull, Peche, Portage du Fort, &
      Shawville.
      It is both a directory of citizens and a business directory. The directory
      of citizens includes - according to the directory itself - "The name of
      every male from 21 years up ... from the daily laborer up to the wholesale
      merchant, ...." although there are also the names on many females,
      presumably where they are the head of a household. As well as the location
      of the domicile, the trade or profession is also given for each person. For
      the larger communities of Ottawa and Kingston it also provides a classified
      business directory and a street directory from which the layout of the
      city's streets can be deduced and the location of the citizens and their
      businesses placed. A fantastic resource for finding ancestors.
      There are over 700 pages in this directory including many great period
      advertisements. Fully text searchable. There is a sampler available
      on the web site.
      We are indebted to the Historical Society of Ottawa for kindly loaning us
      this early directory so we could reproduce it for you on CD. Please join
      with us to thank them for their public spirited generosity in allowing us to
      make this rare and valuable book more accessible.
      Another successful Archive CD Books Canada cooperative project. Also thanks
      to the Bytown museum - who house and maintain the Society's book
      collection, for their cooperation. [Description truncated - see
      catalogue for full text.]

      4 COMING SOON:

      As you can see we have dropped everything to work on the books from the
      Ottawa Historical Society. The last one is on the scanner now but it's the
      one we have been putting off because it is, as expected, difficult to scan
      as well as very long.
      We have the University of Toronto Roll of Service 1914 to 1918, loaned to us
      by a friend of the project, sitting on the shelf awaiting the next turn on
      the scanner. We haven't thought further ahead than that but there is no
      shortage of exciting material on the shelf.

      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS:
      (All prices in $Cdn.)

      CENSUS OF ENGLAND AND WALES - NEW RELEASES

      * LEICESTERSHIRE 1841 CENSUS
      C1841LEI: $72.90
      1841 Leicestershire Census HO107/587-605 - FULL COUNTY SET

      In addition to the full county set, we have made parts of the Leicestershire
      1841 census available on individual CDs, each containing a range of census
      pieces. If you do not need the whole county, then this is the opportunity
      for you to buy smaller parts at a more affordable price for the districts in
      which you have interest. The census is not necessarily organised by logical
      geographical districts.
      Please refer to the list of places on each CD on our web site.
      Be aware that some places occasionally occur on more than one CD. (We have
      not divided the CDs into geographical areas - we have kept strictly to the
      HO classifications as per the original census references).

      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD1 HO107/587-589
      C1841LEI-01: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD2 HO107/590-593
      C1841LEI-02: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD3 HO107/594
      C1841LEI-03: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD4 HO107/595-596
      C1841LEI-04: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD5 HO107/597-599
      C1841LEI-05: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD6 HO107/600-601
      C1841LEI-06: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD7 HO107/602-603
      C1841LEI-07: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD8 HO107/604
      C1841LEI-08: $16.10
      * 1841 Leicestershire Census CD9 HO107/605
      C1841LEI-09: $16.10

      BRITISH BOOKS - NEW RELEASES

      * The War Illustrated - Vol 1
      GB0967: $35.30
      PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTICLES FROM WW1.
      A picture record of events by land, sea and air.
      A series of large
      weekly publications from 22 August 1914 to 13 February 1915. There are
      26 parts to volume 1, all full of fascinating photographs of the war in
      Europe as well as the effects of the war at home in England. Reports for
      example, of a Zeppelin attack in Norfolk, and the shelling of Scarborough by
      a German warship, together with photographs of local people and the damage
      caused. The volume also contains information on the part played by Canadians
      and Australians in the war, again with lots of photographs. FULLY
      SEARCHABLE IN ADOBE ACROBAT.
      2,277
      ILLUSTRATIONS !

      * Kent 1913 Kelly's Directory
      GB1313: $35.30
      A COUNTY DIRECTORY (places with their residents and trades.) A PRIVATE
      RESIDENTS DIRECTORY, and a CLASSIFIED TRADES DIRECTORY plus a superb
      detailed colour map of Kent in 1913 .

      * Surrey 1913 Kelly's Directory
      GB1314: $35.30
      A COUNTY DIRECTORY (places with their residents and trades.) A PRIVATE
      RESIDENTS DIRECTORY, and a CLASSIFIED TRADES DIRECTORY plus a superb
      detailed colour map of Surrey in 1913.

      6 NEWS & GOSSIP:

      If any of you have genealogy related questions of a general nature - or
      something specifically related to Archive CD Books - we'd be glad to publish
      your question in this newsletter to tap into the enormous fund of knowledge
      which I know is out there.

      * CANADIAN CENSUS ON CD?
      In our last newsletter I asked you to let me know if you would be interested
      in copies of the Canadian Census Records on CD. Well, I'm afraid our first
      thoughts on the lack of demand for this sort of information was confirmed by
      a rather small reponse.
      We say a grateful "Thank you" to those of you who respond saying they would
      like to have copies of the census on CD. There were, bacically, two reasons
      put forward for us publishing copies of what is, after all, already
      available on-line: The first was better access. People with slow speed
      internet connection find the wait while the images download tedious while
      others pointed out that they do not have access to the internet at all at
      their cottages.
      The second reason was that not all census records are actually available on
      line. We don't have an exact list, but many of the limited area (i.e., the
      non-national) census records have not been put on-line. A brief search
      seemed to indicate that films are available for at least some of these
      census records and despite the very limited positive response to this survey
      we will be looking into the feasability of putting these records on CD.
      Please notice I didn't say we WOULD put them on CD - just that we'd look
      into it. I can list more negative reasons against, than positive ones for,
      doing it so far, but you have highlighted an unserviced area of Canadian
      genealogy which we may be able to fill.
      Thank you all for participating in our survey and a special thanks for the
      great suggestions.

      * CHANGES IN HOW THIS NEWSLETTER IS ADMINISTERED:
      About a year ago we changed how this newsletter was distributed because it
      was being blocked in certain geographical areas. We did retain the
      administration service of the previous newsletter sender and you had to make
      your administrative requests, and to view the archives, at the
      "British-Genealogy" server. Well that server is going to be taken off-line
      (it's reached the end of it's useful life and isn't worth replacing for what
      it does now.) Over this next month we will be shifting the administration
      and the archives to our own web site. As far as you are concerned this
      change should be "seamless" except that next month I will / should be :-)
      giving you a new address for access to the archives. From now on you can
      send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to <Books@...> or
      to the old address. Your e-mail should carry ONLY the word "subscribe" or
      "unsubscribe" in the subject line and in the message area.
      In addition you can send "halt" and "restart" messages to the
      <Books@...> ONLY if you wish to stop the newsletter
      temporarily.
      You will have been receiving a "british-genealogy.com mailing list
      memberships reminder" message every month. During the transition you will
      continue to receive these automated messages but you can ignore them. I
      will stop them as soon as the transition has been completed.
      The next newsletter should contain all the revised administration
      procedures.

      * SPECIALS:
      We are still giving away a copy of "Manners and Rules of Good Society,"
      CA0009 regularly: $19.00, absolutely free to all new customers. This book
      holds the key to the social code of 100 + years ago. A great help in
      understanding the attitudes and actions of our ancestors. Tell your
      friends.
      FOR CHRISTMAS: Perhaps we can help with some of those people who are so
      difficult to buy for and give your "piggy bank" a break. Up until the
      Christmas vacation we are offering a number of our more "general interest"
      Canadian books at special prices:-

      CA0028, Handbook for the Dominion of Canada, Normally $23.00, Special $19.00
      CA0029, Pathfinders of the West, Normally $13.00, Special $11.50 CA0032,
      Canada as a National Property, Normally $19.00, Special $14.20 CA0037-X2,
      Stoddart's lectures - Canada, Malta & Gibralta, Normally $19.00, Special
      $16.00 CA0045, Sunset Canada - British Columbia and Beyond, Normally $23.00,
      Special $19.00 CA0050, The Pioneers of Old Ontario. Normally $23.00, Special
      $19.00 CA0056, A History of the Eastern Townships, Normally $23.00, Special
      $19.00 CA0068, The Century Cyclopedia of Names, Normally $35.00, Special
      $28.00 CA0076, Down North and Up Along, Normally $19.00, Special $16.00
      CA0092, The Tragic Story of the Empress of Ireland, Normally $19.00, Special
      $13.00 CA0095, Irish (Canadian & USA) Song Books, Normally $19.00, Special
      $13.00 CA0098, Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War,
      Normally $45.00, Special $35.50 CA0109, On Canada's Frontier, Normally
      $23.00, Special $19.00 CA0164, Hudsons Bay or Everyday Life in the Wilds of
      North America, Normally $13.00, Special $11.50 CA0182, The Loyalists of
      America and their Times 1620-1816, Normally $35.00, Special $28.00 IN
      ADDITION, if you want us to ship your order straight to the recipient fill
      in their address in the "Ship to" section of the on-line shopping cart and
      type the word "GIFT" in the shipping instructions.
      We will gift wrap the CDs and include a "gift" invoice showing your name but
      not the pricing information. You will get the regular invoice by mail.
      NOTE that the tax and shipping and handling charges are determined by the
      DESTINATION address. Not by where you live. This can work to your favor is
      you want the gift sent out of the country.
      Our shopping cart still tends to overcharge for multiple orders. If you are
      overcharged we will make a rebate against your credit card. We ONLY cover
      our costs on shipping and handling!

      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS:

      Wellington County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society meets Tuesday,
      November 22nd, 2005, at 122 Harris Street (at York Road), Guelph. Come join
      us for coffee at 7 PM with meeting starting at 7:30 PM. Catherine Patterson
      from Trent University will speak on 19th Century Homestead Burials. For
      further information, please contact Sue Visser (519) 822-2475.
      The Underground Railroad and Ontario Black History Colloquium SATURDAY,
      NOVEMBER 26, 2005, 9:30am - 4pm* At the Highwayman Inn, Simcoe Room, 201
      Woodside Drive, Orillia, ON .
      9:00-9:30 Registration; 9:30-10:00 Pam Tessier, The Davenports
      of Simcoe County; 10:00-11:00 Rosemary Sadlier, President of the Ontario
      Black History Society, Four Hundred Years of Black History;
      11:00-11:15 BREAK; 11:15-12:00 Dave Osborne, The Black Settlement of
      Oro Township, Simcoe County; 12:00-1:00 Lunch; 1:00-1:30 Don
      Ross, Following the Geese North to Canada: The Abolitionist Crusade of
      Dr. A.M. Ross; 1:30-2:30 Dr. Karolyn Smardz Frost, York University,
      The Promised Land: Archaeology and the History of Thornton and Lucie
      Blackburn; 3:00-4:00 (OPTIONAL) Tour of Passages to Freedom: Secrets
      of the Underground Railroad exhibition at the Orillia Museum of Art &
      History
      $20.00 members $25.00 non-members $17.00 students
      Price includes a catered lunch. Call 326-2159 for tickets!
      DON'T FORGET WE CAN HELP YOUR GROUP TO SPREAD THE NEWS. E-MAIL US.

      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS:
      Archives of this newsletter showing all the previous release announcements
      are available in the newsletter archive which can be reached through,
      <http://www.british-genealogy.com/pipermail/cdbooks-news-canada/>
      FOR THE REST OF THIS MONTH ONLY.

      All our newly released books are listed on our web site in the New Releases
      and Special Offers page. Go to:
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/new.html> for an instant update on our new
      products.

      Archive CD Books Canada Inc.