Re: Chinese GenWeb shortened url

  • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
      I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

      Sincerely yours,

      Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
      B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
      Chairman and President

      GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
      977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
      Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
      Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
      E-Mail: services@...
      GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
      908-34th Street S.E.
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
      Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

      On Sun, 06 Oct 2002 07:07:12
      Judith Rempel wrote:
      >Xenia - I'm glad you provided the shorter, rootsweb url.
      >
      >"About.com" is an expansive clearing house for lots of good information
      >on thousands of topics - with "guides" that selectively search for
      >online information pertinent to the topic that they "guide". However,
      >they do a dis-service in my view, beacause they insist on housing the
      >recommended sites inside their website frameset (appears like a
      >letterhead).
      >
      >This strikes me as subtle appropriation of the information - and have
      >done it to AFHS pages as well. Those who are more aware can see through
      >it - but in cases like this it would be very misleading to think that
      >ABOUT.COM in fact is synonymous with GenWeb.
      >
      >GenWeb, in general, is an independent, non-profit consortium of websites
      >that are mostly stored at rootsweb.com. If there is any corporate
      >ownership of the pages - one could argue that it's ancestry.com - since
      >they are the primary funders of rootsweb.com in the last couple of
      >years.
      >
      >Here is the homepage for WorldWide GenWeb:
      >http://www.worldgenweb.org/ -- many will want to bookmark it, since it
      >will direct the user to a specific continent, then country, then
      >region/province/state/city as the detailed sites become developed
      >available.
      >
      >The high-level structure was centrally designed, but users will see that
      >by the time you get to a country level - the look 'n feel, scope of
      >contents, etc. are very different. This is because the country level
      >and lower pages are managed by thousands of volunteers around the globe
      >who adopt a geography and prepare their own content and html.
      >
      >Cheers - and thanks for letting me capitalize on your point to talk
      >about "About.com" and GenWeb.
      >

      >Xenia Stanford wrote:
      >>
      >> Since at least two other people besides Bill found the Chinese genealogy
      >> useful for people they or their friends were searching, I thought I should
      >> give you the shorter url for the Chinese Genweb with the more direct url -
      >> this is the one that has regional and provincial guides for mainland China
      >>
      >> The long url may not work from what I sent as it splits on email over two
      >> lines and if only part is entered, you will receive an error message for the
      >> page. All of the very long url below would need to be entered:

> [...]

      Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
      Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
    • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
        I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

        Sincerely yours,

        Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
        B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
        Chairman and President

        GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
        977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
        Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
        Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
        E-Mail: services@...
        GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
        908-34th Street S.E.
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
        Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com